Any antweight builders near me?

Wanna talk about something other than robots? Really?? Can't understand it myself, but if you really want to, do it here....normal rules apply though!!

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

JimBeeden

Any antweight builders near me?

Post by JimBeeden »

hey, any of you live anywere in east midlands, like nearish to stamford , peterborough nottingham etc, cause i know AWS and reading robot club take place, but there possibly a bit far unless theres trains going close by to each of them, annoying being stuck in the middle of no were :(
Flipsting Progress: Completed version 2, first was a cardboard version, pictures will be on website when its set up
Team Terror

Post by Team Terror »

I live in the West Midlands, not quite sure how far away from the east midlands, that is though
Jack Evans
Captain
Team Terror
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

The AWS does move around the country, but it tends to mainly be in the south-east or home counties simply because that's where most of the active builders are.

The next AWS is in Carterton, Oxfordshire next month, quite far north and west for an AWS really...

It's fair to say the vast majority of builders live "south of the Watford Gap" and when we do run events "up north" it simply means we all have a long way to travel and we get very few "locals" turning up.

Also the AWS relies on a volunteer to run it (someone known to the community and someone we can trust to actually organise a venue) and people want to run the event close to their home. So we usually end up in the south...

Sorry there isn't a good solution, we're not big enough to have "regional" events yet, so we all have to do a fair bit of travelling. Especially painful when you have to rely on public transport.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
JimBeeden

Post by JimBeeden »

ah right cool ok, good job antweights can travel in a box with there controller :P lol
Flipsting Progress: Completed version 2, first was a cardboard version, pictures will be on website when its set up
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I don't know how far you are from Birmingham but on the 27th June there is a robot event at the Millenium Point. This is mainly for autonomus robots such as micromouse, Line Followers, MiniSumo and Humanoids but I will be taking my Ants along for a demonstration.
http://www.tic.ac.uk/micromouse/index.asp
JimBeeden

Post by JimBeeden »

for now im not that far and at uni be even closer, but doubt ill have my antweight done before end of june