3d printer :D

Wanna talk about something other than robots? Really?? Can't understand it myself, but if you really want to, do it here....normal rules apply though!!

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

muchalucha

3d printer :D

Post by muchalucha »

this is sort of similar to what peter is doing , but i want to build a 3d printer. I have the X and Y table , and have worked out how to control it with my arduino. I have written a program in scratch that will import files from blender and make it into a set of layer by layer instructions . I want to use an ultra violet laser to set the photo resin .

First of all , i don't know where to get the resin, and even if it sets with ultra violet light . If any body has a 3d printer or access to one , a photo of the mechanism that raises the printed piece as its being printed would be REALLY use full.

Also , from the videos ive watched , the resin just seems to sit in a tank and instantly solidify when subjected to ultra violet light , is this right or am i missing something . Also is there any programs that do this layer by layer instruction process, already available , because my version is awful !! , the layers never line up when i use a pen . Also im using fedora as i couldn't get the arduino to work under windows.
Fight or flight ... ?

...suicide
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I don't know much about 3D printers but from what little I have seen of them and thinking about how they work you need to lower the work as you build it up. The one I saw appeared to spread a thin layer of the powder on the base surface then scaned over it fuseing the powder where material was required. At the end of each scan the base surface was lowered a small amount and another layer of powder spread over the top. Each scan builds up another layer from the bottom up and the model is supported by the surplus powder. Although these are really useful and interesting they are not somthing I am currently working on and at the moment at about ?5000 last time I looked not somthing I am considering buying. For now I will stick with the CNC mill which I have far from mastered yet.
muchalucha

Post by muchalucha »

if i can find a laser power full enough , i will use the powder melting method, but at the moment the resin setting method looks a lot less dangerous.
Fight or flight ... ?

...suicide