Servos on 7.4V

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

BeligerAnt

Servos on 7.4V

Post by BeligerAnt »

Has anyone ever tried running Saturn S62s on 7.4V?
If so, would you recommend it, or is sticking to 5V a much more sensible option?

To open up a wider question, what are your experiences of running servos on 7.4V? Good, bad or indifferent, let the world know!
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
petec

Post by petec »

I've run SD200s and Parkflyers at 7.4 - Parks are in Pants. I wouldn't try Saturns as the boards are really tiny in them and they get pretty hot anyway - I reckon they'll ping quickly.
------------
RobotWars101.org
RobotWars101.co.uk
Antweights.com
Antweights.co.uk
AntweightWorldSeries.com
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

I used them at 7.2v (110mah ni-mh) before and they seemed fine. But to be honest, I never really liked them. For that size of servo I've always preffered the pico. Cheaper, lighter, and they have that famous glueless speedhack.

As for the wider question, I always run my servos on 7.4v unless there's a regulator built into my controller. At the moment this is only Duff, as it's my only ant where the battery goes directly into the reciever. The only time I have come across problems is if I run the servo for very long time (over 5 mins), or if the servo has lots of power for its size and is speed hacked. Obviously this will reduce the life of the servo, but you should still get many events from them. After 5 events running Park sevos in Duff, only 1 has failed, and that was due to prolonged use (over 10 minutes constant driving melted the board).

My new worry is that I'm stopping using the feather reciever, and I don't know if the new reciever will handle the higher voltage.