Market Research

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Which option do you like best

Dual motor driver
36%
Dual motor driver + receiver
50%
Dual motor driver + receiver + motor gearboxes
14%

Total votes: 14

josh

Post by josh »

but on the other hand if pete can make his option 1 speed controller the size of half a sozbots controller or even the size of a scorp and still drive 2 motors i would probably go for that 1 if there was screw terminals soldered in as an option (i hate soldering tiny boards:P)
RPD International
www.RPDintl.com
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

I would be tempted by option 1. I agree with scott it is much easier to fit small parts in than big ones. As this is the major problem i have with anticipation with a 1" stroke ram and a huge air tank. ?30 is cheaper than the dual motor sozbots board. I proberly wouldn't use on board muixing but it would make life eaier for people with standard radio equipment.

Option 2 would also be a nice one to sell however i would rather have the extra wires and a bit more flexability.

imo option 3 could make for some boring robots, however at 36g, there is lots of weight left over for weapons, servos etc.

Pete i have looked at making my own dual motor control boards, these look very impressive and are at a very resonable price. I am presuming that the dual motor boards use the 2.8A SM drive chips?
TEAM GEEK!
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Leo all electronics sold within the EU has to have CE approval which includes EMC emission and susceptability testing.
Scott I agree some will just stick a wedge on it but then they would do that with two servo's and a receiver. It is more limiting to have one lump but that can be mouted horizontally, vertically or any other angle.
Simon the main area's of weight saving are the Blue Arrow reciever which is 4.5 gms including crystal and before I remove the case and the lack of cables and connectors.
Josh screw connectors add weight but I could offer flying leads.
Andrew the mixing could be optional and yes it uses the same controllers as you have.

Thanks for all the feedback so far it is certainly making me rethink the options. I think I might have a go at option 2 once I have finished the software on the option3 board. One of the many things I like about Antweights and this Forum is the interest advice and help that is always offered even when it is not quit what I expected.
Cavecrusher

Post by Cavecrusher »

i've already registered for Robogames 07, and if school and parents allow i will go. Then again i've been saving for it for nearly 1,5 years, rough estiamate for the tripcost is about 1200 euro. So i'll see you there :P

btw i would really be interested in a option 0.5, as in a single speedo, i already have built in mixing in the transmitter.

While building robots for other people i've found size not weight to be a a big limitation on my evil plans. the only availiable single speedcontrollers that are availiable are the banebots and the scorpions, which as for the US dual motor controllers are way overkill for the tiny motors we use for the 'fairies'.
So a as small as possible single speedcontroller designed for the sanyo look-a-likes (fastcomponents.co.uk ones) would be ideal.

or at least a dual motor controller smaller than the sozbots, barellos, etc..

as for option 2, i've found a cheap source for 2,9gr 40 mhz recievers for 38 euro. Might wanna take a look at them
http://www.rc.jepe.biz/index.php?main_p ... ducts_id=2
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

That is a very nice looking rx, it looks like it uses the standard plugs, which are about 1.5g per 3. Just compairing it to the wes technic 3.8g ones, i would say they are a similar weight and price(with the tiny connectors from wes technic). Will cad it sometime and see if it will work :)

To pete, if you where to make a single board would also be able to make it run as a brushed weapon motor. Will be interested in seeing what you come up with.
TEAM GEEK!
Flippt

Post by Flippt »

The one from Wes-Technik looks very fimiliar to my 35MHZ reciever (Pico-Empf?nger XP8, made by Graupner(Which I use in Buddy)), except for the connectors.

I have to say, the Penta MZK is a very good and light receiver, and I think you can order it without connectors aswell (or you could atleast from my local RC shop)
Swedish style!
Fight Robots, Not Humans!
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

Hi Pete,

If you could post the dimensions of the 2x control and rx board that you showed us the unfinished version of at RRC, I'd be appreciative, since that looked awesome. Also, could you say what ampage/voltage these will be rated for?
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

The dual board and rx looks great, scott the motor drive chips are rated at 2.8A
TEAM GEEK!
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

The dual board with reciever is 30mm x 40mm and I would guess the hight is going to be about 15-20mm. They will run from two or three lithiums although with three the regulator will only supply one extra servo. The absolute minimum is 7.5 volts below which the controllers shut down. This although a feature of the controller chips does mean you don't over discharge a two cell pack. The controllers supply the full battery voltage to the drive motors so three cells on the sanyo look alikes which are rated at 5v may be a bit to high.
Cavecrusher

Post by Cavecrusher »

peterwaller wrote:The controllers supply the full battery voltage to the drive motors so three cells on the sanyo look alikes which are rated at 5v may be a bit to high.
had no problems with the sanyo look-a-likes on 3 cells, they rock!