A few Questions...

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

bobblebot

A few Questions...

Post by bobblebot »

With Bobblebot finally nearing completion (at last - nearly 3 years building it!), I'm looking towards my next antweight (Antisocial). It will be a walker but I have a few questions before I start to do the final plans for it:

1) Roughly how much does a 1mm thick sheet of titanium 100mm x 100mm weigh?

2) What are the main advantages of LiPos over NiCds?

3) I know a number of antweights use lego pneumatics (rams etc) - are they any good for antweights (I suppose they must be) and how would you go about setting this up? Diagrams would be useful as I may decide to incorperate a setup like this into the walker one I decide which weapon to use.

Thank You :)
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

1. Ti is about 0.0042g/cubic mm (I think, that's from memory), so 100x100x0.0042 = 42g

2. Much higher power/weight ratio, higher max output. Basically more voltage and ampage in a lighter package.

3. Pneumatics have only really been used successfully by 2 ants (from memory), firstly, Rebel, used the lego pneumatics to make an awesome flipper, which no-one has been able to top for pure flipping power, and Anticipation, which uses the pneumatic system from www.robotcombat.com. If it's your first time messing with pneumatics, I'd suggest buying some stuff off Ebay and just playing about with it. You will need a ram, storage (an air tank), a valve, a way of pressurising the system (a pump), tubing to connect it all together, and probably fittings such as T connecters, etc. As for making it viable for robots use, the robotcombat stuff is designed for it, however the lego stuff needs to be modified a bit. There was a guide somewhere but I think it's down at the moment, but basically it involves increasing the flowrate by drilling out the input ports on the rams, as there is only a pinhole at the end of them for the air to flow through.

Hope this helps :)
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
bobblebot

Post by bobblebot »

Yep thats great thanks Scott :)
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

Chris's site is down,

the link to the pneumatics page was

http://antweight.hostrobot.co.uk/pneumod.html
TEAM GEEK!