Rules

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

You could easily run a whole team at an event with only one reciever between the 4, thats not my point. If this reciever is damaged, then that's 4 robots out. Giving them 5 minutes to make it to the arena isn't going to do a lot if they are all dead already, except create 4 by-passes, which no one wants cos we get together to fight, not to forfeit through.
Otherwise, the 5minute suggestion is a good one, but as you say Simon, a little difficult to police sometimes.

Josh - the more protected a reciever is, the harder it would be to get it out and change. Making a removable reciever as part of your design before you build is a difficult process, and it is usually hanging around somewhere that's quite easy to access, because it has to be to change it. You can never guarantee a component is not going to die. What if it shorts with a technical fault?
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
bobblebot

Post by bobblebot »

I have just converted version 3.1 into PDF format http://www.bobblebot.co.uk/folder32/ant ... les_31.pdf

I just wanted to check this is OK for me to do. I think it will be useful for people to be able to download them onto their computers but I want to make sure no one has a problem with this.

Thanks,
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Having the rules available in PDF format is nice, but we really don't want to proliferate copies of the rules as they have a habit of becoming out-of-date.
This has happened before and resulted in events being run to extremely out-of-date rules which a) most current robots do not comply with, and b) did not cover some of the safety requirements!

There are currently 2 official copies of the rules, one on RW101 (where else?) and one on Oliver's site.

Everyone: Please link to the current rules at www.robotwars101.org if you want to reference the rules on your site. Please don't make a local copy.

(Of course, you can copy the rules onto your own PC for your own reference.)
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
bobblebot

Post by bobblebot »

Hi Gary - thanks for the reply,

That is just what I wanted to check - I was just thinking that having a PDF version available would be better for people if they wanted a local copy on their PC but I was aware of the linking to the rules thing. I can understand how it could cause a problem! :) Perhaps RW101 could host the rules as a PDF file too?

Its just a suggestion - if people are happy with just html and copying to our local PCs (or just going online to view them) I won't argue with that, but I always find it more helpful when there is a PDF available on my hard drive.
Last edited by bobblebot on Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobblebot

Post by bobblebot »

Sorry double post :oops:
Flippt

Post by Flippt »

I've been thinking on the rule 5.l

How does this rule effects FBS? As all FBS I've seen, there's never been a label on them. Also, the event organizers dosent seem to have such a big check on the ants with, not so visible labels. I reject to aws17, with me entering Buddy, which only had been written with its name with a thin pencil.
Swedish style!
Fight Robots, Not Humans!
Cavecrusher

Post by Cavecrusher »

mine never had (DBA, Antcrusher, Antmosphere, MBY, Ceasar)
Flippt

Post by Flippt »

If you look at your avatar Tim, you'll see you actually got a label on DBA ;)

But I think it would be better for the event organizers to know which ant belongs to who, even though its obvious for some.
Swedish style!
Fight Robots, Not Humans!
Adam Hargreaves

Post by Adam Hargreaves »

yh, mine are the ones constructed with hazard tape...
Team 'In Theory'
Cavecrusher

Post by Cavecrusher »

Flippt wrote:If you look at your avatar Tim, you'll see you actually got a label on DBA ;)
Yeah, that like the first one in many years, only because i wanted to make sure that you guys knew it was a newer version, but winning the AWS was more effective i guess :)