Walkers and shufflers

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Cavecrusher

Post by Cavecrusher »

well, this is an eye-opener. So THE solution for being overweight is just to ad square wheels?
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Why not. It might not do much for your top speed though. How about octagonal wheels? :wink:

Simon
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

Thats why this rule needs to be clarified, I've seen servo horns with 8 arms, which would only be slightly more bumpy than driving with wheels, but under the rules would class as a walker/shufflebot. I doubt theres anyone cheeky enough to actually do this, but it should be clarified, just incase :P
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
paul

Post by paul »

pahaps a rule about shuffle bots should come into place something like, no more than 2 'legs' per servo and each must be atleast 3cm in length or something like that?
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Yeah, I agree with Paul. And also maybe add that, if servo horns are being used, there must be a point in the rotation where no part of the horn is on the ground, so they actually lift and propell the bot forward before dropping it down and starting the rotation again.

Anyone else got any other interesting solutions to making a robot walk?
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Cavecrusher

Post by Cavecrusher »

use 2 servo's per leg, 1 for up and down, 1 for forward and backward. Will make it a true walker, solves all problems.

have to add that i consider Chimera and Kwijebo more of a real walker than the servohorn driven ones.
mayby this is the other solution to the problem, no direct driven servohorns or other square/octogonal wheels
Remote-Controlled Dave

I love the precision engineering of Chimera and Kwijebo and MutAnt, I'm just not that good! :D

There was a bot I'd consider more of a walker called Abel in competition before. I liked that one, nice and simple. Dunno who built it though, wasnt around back then.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Does any one know where the older versions of the rules are to see where some of these inconsistancies have crept in. I thought the rules originally specifically excluded servo horns but then when you get to my age the old memory is not what it was once.
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I think I see where the confusion is coming in the rules say
Robots motivated by non-rotary motion (i.e. walkers, shuffle-bots) are limited to 0.225kg (225g)
but in the definitions
Shufflebot - A robot that uses legs operated by means of rotary motive force. For example, using the ends of servos arms directly as legs.
The last statment is completly incorrect and should be removed.
In a shuffle bot the legs may be motivated by a rotary motive force ie a cam shaft but must not actually rotate ie it is always the same part of the leg that is in contact with the ground. In actual fact the previous version of mutant the cams ran in vertical slots so the up and motion was considerable less than horizontal so it was more an eliptical motion
Remote-Controlled Dave

Well, I'll be ok with it for Saturday, but probably warrents a change after that event.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39