Rule revision

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Remote-Controlled Dave

Rule revision

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

I'd like to ask for a revision on rule 4H, about clusterbots losing if half of them is dead.
In Robot Wars, this rule was dropped for Extreme series 2, and for the 7th wars. I don't understand why we still have it for ants. Clusters are already at enough disadvantages, each botlet being lighter than the ants they are fighting, and having less capabilites usually, unless someone sets themselves the challege of making one where each half matches an ants capabilites, which is very difficult.
I think this rule destroys the last reason anyone would want to make a clusterbot. The advantages of one are that you can attack as a team. But this means you are subject to 2 drivers at error, plus its not hard for an ant to pick on one botlet, get it out, and then the battle is ceased.
I reakon all rules for clusterbots should remain the same, but that 4H should be abolished. It balances out the advantages and disadvantages of making one over making a normal ant, and, in my opinion, makes the competition fairer for anyone who wants to undertake the already difficult task of building a clusterbot ant.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Raizor

Post by Raizor »

Dave rule 4H is in favour of cluster bots. the Robot wars rule was "A Clusterbot will have lost when 50% (by weight) of it has been eliminated."

Rule 4H is different it is:
"A Clusterbot will have lost when more than 50% (by weight) of it has been eliminated. "

This means in a 2 part clusterbot you must eliminate both parts. In a 3 Part Clusterbot you must eliminate 2 parts and in a 4part clusterbot you must eliminate 3 parts. (Assuming all parts are of equal weight).

This to me favours the cluster bot unlike the older Robot Wars rule.
The Irish Guy
Website Hosting:
http://www.dghosting.co.uk
Remote-Controlled Dave

Ah, yes, I see that now. I missed the "more than". lol. Goodo, will proceed with my project then. Thanx
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
american roboteer

Post by american roboteer »

when was the last time you saw a 4 part cluster a 2 part cluster is hard enough to build what are gona make three 1 gram peices of lexan and one 147 gram botlet
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

It is very posible to make a 4 part cluster with a few problems

1 money

2 who is going to drive the 4th bot, as there is only 3 member per team?????????????? :lol:
TEAM GEEK!
josh

Post by josh »

well u could put em all on the same frequency and jst 1 tx between 4 :wink:
Flippt

Post by Flippt »

think it has been up before: You could use two bots on same tx with same frequency and with a mixer in both bots. I dont know how to make it work, but some of you may have it up and going.
Swedish style!
Fight Robots, Not Humans!
Remote-Controlled Dave

I've finished my bot, no name yet. But, as far as I know, it is the first ever walking clusterbot in any weight catagory, ever. Can anyone confirm that?
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Flippt

Post by Flippt »

Cant be bothered to make a new thread, so I'm borrowing this one:

The rule I was looking for dont seem to be in the 3.1 version :S
Anyway, It's the same about 4i, that a the contester must change the robots crystal within 5 minutes. Does that include the transmitter aswell? If it does, then I think it should be in the text aswell. Just a thought.....
Swedish style!
Fight Robots, Not Humans!
Raizor

Post by Raizor »

Not to sound condesending but it takes at most 30sec to change the crystals in the Tx. Its just difficult to change the crystals in some robots.The 5min is there more as a guide than a strict rule, I doubt anyone would throw you out of a competition if it took you 5min 10sec to change your crystal. But if it was taking more like 10+min then youd be in trouble. THe rule was brought in because alot of people were building antweights where it was difficult if not impossible to change the crystal without disassembling the entire robot.
The Irish Guy
Website Hosting:
http://www.dghosting.co.uk