Relays

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

The receiver pack output on the charger is designed to charge 4.8V NiMH/NiCd packs. Just plug it in and away you go!

If you were to use a 6V NiMH/NiCd pack (5 * 1.2V), you would need a different charger. The transmitter output of a standard charger would work with some care.

See the topic "Charging batteries" in this section for more info...
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Adam Hargreaves

Post by Adam Hargreaves »

Thanks. I'll be making some non-rechargable packs as backup, and probably two rechargeable ones. The non-rechargable ones will be 6V, and the rechargable ones will be 4.8V. Think I know what I'm doing now... here's hoping I don't dear anything,,,
Team 'In Theory'
Adam Hargreaves

Post by Adam Hargreaves »

To change the topic totally (I've edited the title as well):

Is it possible to power a relay from a reciever? and if so, how?
Team 'In Theory'
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

The easyist way is to use a servo which presses a micro switch to the realy, other that that i don't think so
TEAM GEEK!
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

I'd say the easiest and best way is to use one of these.

http://www.electronize.co.uk/switchers.htm

Get a 2 channel one, that'll do two relays for you. Plus they failsafe, so it's a lot better and safer to get one of these if you're going to enter your robot into competitions. Plus they work our cheaper in the long run. By the time you add up 2 switches, a servo and a failsafe, these are the way to go. Plus if you should ever want to upgrade to bigger motors, just chuck in some bigger relays, and it'll work.
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Non-tech version please Rhys: Do relays plug into that box, and the box plugs into the reciever then?
And then the relays are the switch in the motor/battery circuit?
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

Yeah, thats pretty much it. you have two relays plug into this box. And you plug the box into your reciever. When your transmitter stick is central, both the relays are closed, and no power goes to the motor. When the stick is forward, one relay will open, and the motor will spin one way. When you move the stick back, this relay will close, and the other will open, making the motor spin the opposite way.

Much easier, and more reliable than using a servo and microswitches. Plus it failsafes. But still worth saving for a proper speedo if you can get it (if you're using drill motors that is, WW motors will be fine using this)
Freeman37

Post by Freeman37 »

Servomotors will not turn has their speed max!
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Think I'd need a simple circuit diagram if I was gunna seriously think about building a feather. Or look at someone elses bot with the system installed at least.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

I'll try and knock something together for RRC, using that electronize switcher if I can find it. If not I'll show you my speedos which work on the same principal.

It's really not half as complicated as it sounds, its just difficult to explain without showing you.