Harpoon as weapon?

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Relic

Harpoon as weapon?

Post by Relic »

Hi there,I'm currently thinking about my first own design for a robot and read through the Robot Wars rules to check what would be allowed to use.

I have noticed that there could be an option for a projectile if it could be stopped in full speed with a teather.

I thought about using a harpoon on a two wheeler. The wheels would need strong motors to be able to pull another bot after the harpoon has hit.

As you don't see such weapon in competion I'm wondering if something like that possible and from which weight class could such a design work?
bitternboy

Re: Harpoon as weapon?

Post by bitternboy »

Hi there, welcome to the forum.

To my knowledge, there has never been an effective antweight with a tethered projectile weapon. That doesn't mean you shouldn't try if you feel inclined but it definitely wouldn't be the easiest weapon to make effective.
You might have more luck with that concept in a larger weight class but if you're just starting out making robots then I would recommend building an antweight or possibly a featherweight first.

If you do give making an antweight a go, make sure you read the antweight rules; the Robot Wars ones are specifically for heavyweight robots.
This forum is full of useful info for getting started, have a look around and get designing!

Antweight Rules -> http://robotwars101.org/ants/rules.htm
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
Relic

Post by Relic »

Thanks a million for your answer and input.

I`ll for sure construct something since I have a four years old who seems to set a deadline for me :lol:

I`m already a silent reader here the harpoon was just something I couldn`t find discussed before hence the question.

All the best :D
JeffSergeant

Post by JeffSergeant »

Bear in mind, if I'm reading the rules correctly, you'd only have 20 seconds to drag it around before the round was stopped and you were re-positioned.. and you'd never be able to drag them into a pit, although you could put them in the position to give them a good shove!

I was wondering whether something like a spinning ball&chain might be more effective, much more likely to be able to build up momentum that way and give something a good whack....