Sharing parts between two or more ants

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Charlie_Foxtrot

Sharing parts between two or more ants

Post by Charlie_Foxtrot »

Hi all, I'm new here and I'm wondering what, if any, rules there are regarding the sharing of components between two bots. For example, if I wanted to, could I build and enter two bots bound to a single controller, or enter two separate bots with individual chassis but with only one set of electronics between them, to be swapped in between fights?
Shakey

Re: Sharing parts between two or more ants

Post by Shakey »

"could I build and enter two bots bound to a single controller" Very common and definitely allowed.

" or enter two separate bots with individual chassis but with only one set of electronics between them, to be swapped in between fights" I'd say no on this. While it isn't explicitly ruled out it is an EO's nightmare trying to call fights while you're swapping electronics between robots.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
AntRoboteer

Post by AntRoboteer »

I would say is is definitely banned to share parts between robots.

For tech checks, you would take both robots up. Each has to be weighed one by one. At this point one robot would be fully working, the other would essentially be an empty shell at this point. That would not count as a robot in any circumstances unless you could enter an empty shell into the arena (which you cannot). Therefore, you only hold one robot.

Or perhaps think about it in another way: to make modifications electrically to the first after tech checks (ie taking the electrics out) would invalidate the tech check of the first robot, hence making the first robot entry immediately invalid in order to enter the second.

Therefore, the only way allowable in the rules to enter two robots is to have two working robots to present at the tech check stage, both with electronics and individual batteries.

Hope that helps. :D
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

No problem sharing transmitters between robots, almost everyone does it.

As to parts, as others have said, you need to have 2 complete robots to tech check.
Also, since your 2 robots will be in different groups it is possible that they could be in consecutive fights (last fight of group 1, first fight of group 2) so you don't have time to rebuild each robot between fights.

You can share spare parts between robots, but to have 2 robots you need 2 batteries, 2 sets of electronics, 2 sets of motors, 2 sets of wheels, 2 bodies/chassis etc.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt