joining polycarb

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Remote-Controlled Dave

Re: joining polycarb

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

I bought some acrylic recently that was labelled "polycarb" on the site. That snaps. You have to be careful on things like eBay cos they get mislabelled a lot.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

oh we use acrylic in product design at school and it's rubbish! i reckon it would probably shatter on the first hit in s spinner fight!
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)
suvv

Post by suvv »

well it feels the same as my 6mm poly that i bought from direct plastics so im quietly optimistic jsut waiting for the nuts to arrive then i can start working on the ant
how hard can it be???
Robots: Optimistic chances of self decimation (ant), Super generic box ant that everyone builds yehhh (ant)
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

Remote-Controlled Dave wrote:I bought some acrylic recently that was labelled "polycarb" on the site. That snaps. You have to be careful on things like eBay cos they get mislabelled a lot.
Mildly off topic (sorry!) but I've noticed this a lot with eBay carbon fibre - it seems to more often than not be fibreglass sheet with one layer of carbon fibre on top for aesthetics' sake (especially at 1mm+ thicknesses).
I have largely stopped using polycarbonate too for this reason - as anything other than flat panels it seems to just be too temperamental, especially as time progresses. What I would do is make sure you use a few more nuts and bolts than are needed to spread the load out, as that seems to help when you get big impacts.
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"