joining polycarb

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

suvv

Re: joining polycarb

Post by suvv »

how do you fold it without it snapping ???is there a trick to it
how hard can it be???
Robots: Optimistic chances of self decimation (ant), Super generic box ant that everyone builds yehhh (ant)
haz

Post by haz »

polycarb generally doesn't snap, that sounds like acrylic or perspex if it is doing that.
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

2mm should just fold and stay where it... if it's more than a 90 degree fold it might crack a little if it's old, but if it's just snapping then it's not polycarb...
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
suvv

Post by suvv »

i havent tried it yet i was more questioning it as i was not aware you could fold it at 2mm without it breaking
how hard can it be???
Robots: Optimistic chances of self decimation (ant), Super generic box ant that everyone builds yehhh (ant)
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

Ah ok... Yeah it should fold just fine, though if it's proving a little tough you can heat it up with a lighter or something to help it. I try and make my chassis from a single folded piece where possible as it's always stronger than trying to join it.. it's often worth making cardboard templates first though to work out the best folds to avoid wasting polycarb..
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

I bought some acrylic recently that was labelled "polycarb" on the site. That snaps. You have to be careful on things like eBay cos they get mislabelled a lot.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

oh we use acrylic in product design at school and it's rubbish! i reckon it would probably shatter on the first hit in s spinner fight!
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)
suvv

Post by suvv »

well it feels the same as my 6mm poly that i bought from direct plastics so im quietly optimistic jsut waiting for the nuts to arrive then i can start working on the ant
how hard can it be???
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

Remote-Controlled Dave wrote:I bought some acrylic recently that was labelled "polycarb" on the site. That snaps. You have to be careful on things like eBay cos they get mislabelled a lot.
Mildly off topic (sorry!) but I've noticed this a lot with eBay carbon fibre - it seems to more often than not be fibreglass sheet with one layer of carbon fibre on top for aesthetics' sake (especially at 1mm+ thicknesses).
I have largely stopped using polycarbonate too for this reason - as anything other than flat panels it seems to just be too temperamental, especially as time progresses. What I would do is make sure you use a few more nuts and bolts than are needed to spread the load out, as that seems to help when you get big impacts.
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"