Spinner issues

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Remote-Controlled Dave

Spinner issues

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Hi all.
Built a spinner today. Ran fine, made an absolute mess of a few sacrificial items, had a big hit on one, and ever since then the motor wont spin up. When I use the throttle, the motor just twitches back and fourth but wont spin.
Things I have already tried -
Charging the battery full
Making a more rigid chassis
Checking anything is rubbing against the bell
Removing the disc to see if it spins up when its unloaded
Re soldering connections.

Can anyone think of what it might be? I was all ready to call it a finished entry and now I've had to dismantle it all and am wondering if I should just go back to flippers, because even if I do get it going again, what good is it if it cuts out in the arena?
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Rapidrory

Re: Spinner issues

Post by Rapidrory »

It sounds very much like you've broken a motor wire somewhere; most likely at the motor end. General rule I have with spinners these days is to put a bit of glue on the wires where they go into the motor. I have had the motor wires break at the motor end before, and depending on the motor you can resolder it ok, but you need to carefully scrape the enamel off the copper wire on both broken ends then solder them back up. Usually pretty tricky as one end will be short, but doable. If you can get it working again, get some glue over it to reduce the strain.
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

That doesn't sound like the type of thing I can fix. I struggle to solder in a heavyweight, let alone anything fiddly!
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

i'll have to be careful when i get to finish my spinner. sorry to hear about your motor Dave. it might be good to have a bit of weapon diversity anyway, it means you can come with another wacky contraption :)
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)