High load electronics.

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

dcr raptor

High load electronics.

Post by dcr raptor »

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could let me know of a battery (preferably a LiPo) that would be able to cope with 6 pololu HP micro gear motors without exploding and a single output speed controller that can manage 4 of these motors or more. Also, would either a spectrum or lemon rx receiver be able to cope with the number of motors or would the receiver be a non-issue?
For those wondering why I am asking this, I had an idea of an antweight grabber that used four pololu HP micro gear motors for the weapon and had no idea as to whether this would overload the battery or escs.

Any help is appreciated.
Rapidrory

Re: High load electronics.

Post by Rapidrory »

You should be fine running 6 HP motors off of a standard 2 cell, 25C 180mAh battery. They have a continuous output of 4.5 A and a peak of 8.1A, but if the motors tried to draw more current than that then the voltage would just dip rather than the battery explode (Flail Whale tries to draw 10A from one of those 180mAh batteries)

4 HP motors at 8.4v at stall is gonna draw around 6-7A. However it's unlikely that they'll be at stall for very long, so fit in under the 8.1A peak. The two drive motors are unlikely to draw more than half an amp each, so at absolute max you might be at the 8.1A peak. I would suggest a larger battery, but i'll be impressed if you have the spare weight for 6 motors and a rigid chassis to have more than a 180mAh battery in there.

As for ESCs, a botsbitz 10A or similar should do the job for the weapon. Any of the regular ESCs can be used for the drive.

The receiver is run from a BEC so is unrelated to the current drawn.
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Also, the receiver only provides control signals to the ESC(s). The receiver can be used with any load that the ESC can handle. Also its current consumption is pretty much negligible compared to the motors. As Rory says it is powered from the BEC.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Proved by the fact I used the sane receiver in a heavy as I did in an ant.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39