flipper hinge?

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

infintry2

flipper hinge?

Post by infintry2 »

Hi all
Im new to forum and am building my first robot. Im building a flipper, but im unsure as to how i would connect the flipper to the body. The flipper isnt fixed directly to the servo, so what could i use as a hinge? thanks :D
Team Invade

Re: flipper hinge?

Post by Team Invade »

All my robots use two bulkheads (even if they are only 2mm thin), and two bent 'tabs' on the flipper arm. I then put screws through both to hold them together. Just be sure to check to check the nut regularly as they do work themselves loose :)

I've seen a lot of people use a proper hinge, but the one's I've found are either too heavy or don't look tough enough.
Website | YouTube | Photobucket | Build Diary

Featherweight UK Champion
Heavyweight Robot Wars Champion

Heavyweight Tag Team Champion
Featherweight Tag Team Champion
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Piano wire as a hinge pin with an arrangement similar to Team Invade's description also works well.
Gaffa tape is also surprisingly effective :)

Let's face it, if a flipper gets a direct hit from a spinner going full pelt, you probably want the hinge to be the weakest link to aviod and serious internal damage...
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

The hinge from a VHS case also does a very good job in my opinion, you can drill it very easily and it stands up to all but the biggest of hits :)
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
infintry2

Post by infintry2 »

Thanks for the speedy answers :)