Rampaging Chariots

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

anttazz

Rampaging Chariots

Post by anttazz »

Right, not sure if this is the place to put this or not, I reckon its my first topic since I joined this forum many, many moons ago....but anyway.

Heading to a Robogames style event for youth groups in Edinburgh the weekend before Robots Live event there. Trying to promote Combat Robotics as well as the event itself and just got an email back from the organiser saying that rather than us just being there we should have a stall that will include Robot Wars winner Typhoon 2. Currently, we have our FW bots (between 6-8) and could MAYBE squeeze a HW into the car, but I don't really see that covering the full spectrum of our sport, and if Typhoon 2 will be there anyway, the space required in the car of a HW could probably be better used by something else. Asked Alan if we could bring a FW kit along, as that is essentially what the event is based on, but we'll have to see if the logistics of that can work themselves out.

So was wondering if any of the antweight guys had any ideas as to things we could put on or bring with us to help demonstrate your side of the sport. As you know, neither of us are antweight experts (a total of 1 win between the pair of us, feel the shame Harry :P ). I particularly think that kits that are available for sale would go down particularly well as that is the reason they are at the event in the first place, and its also the reason I was asking about what you guys call "drive-all-day" robots as the restrictions on them will be far less than they will be on, for example, Drumroll spinning up haha. Even adding one more roboteer to the Scottish Combat Robotics scene would increase participation by about 20% so its something I really want to go well.

Anyway, any input very much appreciated :)

Tony
BeligerAnt

Re: Rampaging Chariots

Post by BeligerAnt »

Hi Tony

A "drive all day" ant is basically a simple ant with maybe a servo lifter or grabbing claw ("crusher" is a bit optimistic!).
Add a slightly bigger than usual battery to provide longer running times between charges and don't worry if the battery puts the whole thing a bit over 150g.

Perhaps the most important characteristic is that the robot is fairly simple to drive and the owner is willing to subject it to an 8-hour soak test at the hands of over-enthusiastic and inexperienced drivers!

The best way to keep the robots running all day is to have a reasonable number of spares and allow adequate rest periods when motors/servos start to get warm. Running one robot all day is a sure-fire destructive test :)

We have run a DVD that James put together which is a compilation of a few recent AWS's, stills of robots and info about the class, competitions etc. You are welcome to a copy if you can make use of it.

Peter Waller has a couple of drive-all-day robots which he has entrusted to the Royal Mail before - he may be willing to do so again. Sadly I suspect Edinburgh is too far for any of us Southerners to travel to for a day, even with robots on offer! :D

Good luck with the event!
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

If you want to borrow Bulletproof and maybe Kill-a-chav as DAD robots you are welcome to.
anttazz

Post by anttazz »

Thanks for getting back to me guys :)

I spoke to David the other night there about drive all day ants as I knew that could come in handy due to the relatively short batteries lives available to my FW and HWs, as well as the safety restrictions that I mentioned before. Also seems a bit more interesting than the Chariots kits themselves, or indeed most robots out there in that you don't need to charge the bandits for 24hrs for every 5 minutes of fun :D .

The DVD might be useful, I could probably bring my laptop along and play it if anyone is interested. Although saying that, I have had to apply for security clearance to be allowed into the building so they could be quite strict, and if we do bring a laptop I imagine a lot of its time will be used up showing video of drumroll destroying pcs, cameras, dishwashers, chickens etc :wink: but I will enquire.

I just realise that I am probably not the person you would choose as an AW ambassador at these events, so want as much input from people who want to help as possible really.

If you don't mind Dave that would probably prove to be quite useful. Are you attending the Edinburgh event this year? If so I could give them back to you then.
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

I'll need to find out the costs of sending them, because my DAD's all have seperate transmitters so the audience can fight them.
anttazz

Post by anttazz »

Yeah thats no problem, no need to worry if its a lot of cash.

What sort of tx's are you using for them? The HWs and some FWs (Drumroll for example) wont be running at the Chariots event so we will have a load of transmitters going spare.
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

All my DAD's are on 40MHz :P. Had to make use of the old equipment :)
anttazz

Post by anttazz »

Ahh I see, I don't have any 40MHz gear anymore :( . It may also throw a spanner in the works as I know the Chariots bots used to run on 40MHz up until last year, however I think this year there is a requirement for 2.4GHz, but whether that is for new kits being supplied or if it's being retrofitted i'm not sure.