Thread for silly questions about rules!

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Remote-Controlled Dave

Re: Thread for silly questions about rules!

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

That might do it. Or a simple "no commercially allowed vehicles will be allowed in competition, with the exception of fighting robot kits."

Does ANYONE object to this with good reason or should we just go with it from the next event?
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

That sounds pretty solid; though I think you mean 'Commercially available' not 'commercially allowed'. Otherwise I'm up for that.
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

That wording is perfect and needs to go in the rule book effective from the upcoming AWS.

Although that does take out 2 'botlets' that were part of Lemmings at some point (Ceri's little tank and John's tiny RC car).
What about Spall?
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

Why not before the next AWS?

We have plenty more actual Nanos now to make up Lemmings... and it's for the greater good Dave :L

Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Shakey

Post by Shakey »

Signup for the next AWS hasn't opened yet so it makes sense.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
Remote-Controlled Dave

Yes, I would implement it for the next AWS. I guess it does include Spall, yeah. But what with nanos growing, there is always the option to build another Spall within the rules. The sport adapts. Plenty of old entrants wouldn't be allowed now by rule changes.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

I used to enter a hexbug but to be honest that was only because at the time I hadn't finished my nano. I have done now and if that broke I could always build a 75 gram version of transit ant and enter it clustered with fleadom fighter or better still I could actually get round to perfecting my shufflebot mechanisms for the fourth entry.any of those would be better than my old cluster " language timmothy" which consisted of a boring 2WD pusher and a hexbug that was more of hinderance than a help anyway ( I actually once lost a fight once because the bug's leg got caught in transit ant's wheel.) oh there is one thing though: if we banned flying robots, would a hover craft design be banned as well?

EDIT: nobody has really posted on the rules debate for a while now. is the debate officially over yet? i am very interested to see the new rule book.
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

A hover craft wouldn't be banned as it is incapable of flight, assuming we define flight as being able to maintain altitude regardless of ground proximity (which seems sensible to me). Also that way it doesn't hit fanbots as though some can takeoff they cannot maintain altitude due to their instability.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

We're not explicitly banning flying robots, but by banning commercially available robots it makes it a lot harder as you can't just buy a mini quadcopter and enter it (which is where this discussion originated). If someone did build their own, it would be very unique and tbh quite likely to smash itself into a wall..
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Remote-Controlled Dave

Yes, I think if we ban commercially available stuff including drones, then we can still allow flying robots, as it would be a ridiculously hard challenge to build your own. And you wouldn't win a fight anyway. So it is now just a huge challenge for anyone that feels like attempting it without buying a drone.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39