Heavy weight parts

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Pugster2002

Heavy weight parts

Post by Pugster2002 »

Can I have a list of parts for a heavy weight :D :D :D :D :D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Pugster is 9 years old and is autistic,he can be blunt and sometimes seems rude,but he's just to the point!!!please try to be clear when talking to him.his obsession is robot wars and pugs!!thanks guys(pugsters mum!!)
Shakey

Re: Heavy weight parts

Post by Shakey »

Hi Pugster,I seriously advise getting more experience with other robots.

Heavyweights are extremely dangerous (and really expensive £1000+ at a low end) most roboteers would get a few years of experience under their belt before moving on to a heavyweight due to the dangers associated with them.

Alex
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
Team Invade

Post by Team Invade »

Heavyweights are extremely dangerous, expensive and very hard work
Speaking from experience here, Eruption cost £3000, is easily capable of killing a person and took almost a year to build, not including maintenance :D Its quite startling to build a heavyweight and see just how dangerous it is

I'd start with an antweight for now and gain some experience
Website | YouTube | Photobucket | Build Diary

Featherweight UK Champion
Heavyweight Robot Wars Champion

Heavyweight Tag Team Champion
Featherweight Tag Team Champion
teamocean

Post by teamocean »

Some very good advice here. I started small and worked my way up through the weight classes.

Heavyweights are extremely dangerous and very expensive- Maelstrom has cost us around £3000 over the last couple of years and Soundwave has already cost £2000 and is not even finished yet.

Featherweights and antweights can still be dangerous in their own way- any of the Inertia spinners are capable of causing injury.

However if your parents are confident with dealing with the robots then a larger one may still be a possibility.

The advice I always give people is to start off with the antweights and then work your way up once you get to a few events and get some help from the roboteers- we are a very nice group of people and always willing to help new people get started!
Will Thomas
Team Shock
www.shockbots.co.uk
Pugster2002

Post by Pugster2002 »

I have 2 ant weights :D and 1 flea weight 8)
Pugster is 9 years old and is autistic,he can be blunt and sometimes seems rude,but he's just to the point!!!please try to be clear when talking to him.his obsession is robot wars and pugs!!thanks guys(pugsters mum!!)
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Antweights and fleaweights are in a totally different league to heavies. I have a heavy and it's not easy. You will see some heavies at snibston and you can see they are NOT for beginners. You may be able to make one someday but you need more experience first.
Team Invade

Post by Team Invade »

Totally agree with Dave here, you should only really be even thinking about a heavyweight robot several years in the future

Took us a whole seven years to get there :P
Website | YouTube | Photobucket | Build Diary

Featherweight UK Champion
Heavyweight Robot Wars Champion

Heavyweight Tag Team Champion
Featherweight Tag Team Champion
Craig_Anto3

Post by Craig_Anto3 »

I see no reason why you can't build a heavyweight, my first proper robot was a super heavyweight weighing 170kg now that was dangerous. Antweights are dangerous and we all take precautions when we use them.

For a heavyweight you'll need the basic parts (in the brackets are robots that use them)

2X drive motors: 24v Bosch 750w are standard, second hand you're looking at £100 for a pair but they dont come up for sale that often, brand new they're £100 each (Tornado, Dominator II, Ripper, Terrorhurtz)

Speed controller: either dual or single channel, I use a Roboteq which will cost you £400 but will handle anything you give them to drive.

Batteries, with Bosch's you'll need 24v minimum so either the largest NiMH batteries (Dantomkia) or 2x12 Hawker batteries (Biohazard, IronAwe) will be best £120each or you can splash out on A123 lithium cells £loads (Terrorhurtz, Sewer Snake)

transmission: you can either drive the wheels with gears or chain drive, I prefer gears much more effective. with Bosch 750's a simple way of doing the drive is to use 2x 5inch wheels and a 6:1 ratio, (8645T ,Terrorhurtz) which will cost you about £50 per motor

Chassis: best thing to do is use Aluminium plate and mount everything off them 8mm+ thickness (Chaos 2, Beast)

Armor: best material to use is Hardox 4mm should be enough (Ripper, Iron Awe, Toxic)

Weapon: your choice, I hate flippers, Axes and crushers are the most imposing, Spinners are banned in the UK but the choice is yours

Price for a decent heavyweight is gonna be about £2000 and will take a couple of weeks to build if you know what your doing and have all the machinery available to do so, without the knowledge and tools it could take you months to build. Its not something you can throw together over a weekend.