Servo reversing on MLP4DSM transmitter

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

ajw

Servo reversing on MLP4DSM transmitter

Post by ajw »

Hi everyone, I'm currently using a DSM2 transmitter and DSM2 receivers and am looking at getting the MLP4DSM transmitter as a cheap backup handset. However I have a slight concern over the ability to reverse the direction of the throttle control. I've read it's possible to reverse the other 3 channels by holding down the respective trim button while powering the transmitter up, however have not been able to confirm if this is also the case for the throttle control. Here's one of the manuals relating to the transmitter (page 9)

http://www.parkzone.com/ProdInfo/Files/ ... ual_EN.pdf

If anyone has this transmitter and could do a quick test for me it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much

Andrew
peterwaller

Re: Servo reversing on MLP4DSM transmitter

Post by peterwaller »

I did a test and was unable to reverse the throttle control.
Just to make sure I checked the proceedure worked on the elevator control and it did.
ajw

Post by ajw »

Thanks for taking the time to try that out Peter.

I'm currently using a DX4e which works well, but found that due to the way the mixing reduces the power to each drive servo by about 50% in mix mode I was struggling to get enough speed with my newest ant with heavier wheels. So I thought the MLP4DSM would be a good option as I was looking for a cheap second controller since this would allow me to keep the trims/servo reverse for each of my antweights unique to each ant. I guess I'd also need to get used to using the controller in the diagonals for forward reverse (without a mixer) unless it's possible to modify the handset in some way?
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

I drive one of mine on the diagonals. It's pretty easy to get used to.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
ajw

Post by ajw »

I thought I'd dredge this thread up again as it is somewhat related, though not entirely related to the thread title....

I got hold of a mlp4dsm transmitter the other day, though only got around to trying it this morning with all the aws preperation going on. It appears as though I got the 50:50 chance of getting the correct servo orientation and throttle direction wrong, though I can live with that. However, something that is bugging me is that when I raise the throttle to about 80-90%, the servo I'm controlling on that channel jumps to a maximum setting and at which point the trim controls don't appear to have any effect.

I'm not sure if this is how the transmitter is meant to perform or whether I have a faulty unit. I'd appreciate if anyone with one of these transmitters could advise me on how their unit works.

Thanks very much

Andrew
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I have just tried one of my transmitters and it appears to be the same.
The throttle channel pulses go from 1.1ms to 1.8ms in a nice liner way but then suddendly jump to 1.9ms above that.
That sounds quite reasonable as it ensures you still get full throttle when the trims are set fully back.
As to the trims not working they do have much less effect at the ends of the stick travel anyway and unless the trim brings the stick below the 1.8ms point they would have no effect.
One thing to watch out for that I hadn't noticed before was the instruction when binding to pull the throttle stick fully back after releasing the pressing on the stick.
This is because the transmitter remembers the position of the throttle during binding and uses that as the throttle failsafe setting if signal is lost.
To sum up your transmitter sounds OK as far as the throttle is concerned but it probably shouldn't forget the reversing..
ajw

Post by ajw »

Thanks again Peter, very helpful as usual. Unfortunately I haven't got a scope at home so wasn't entirely sure what was going on. That puts my mind at ease knowing that it isn't just my handset.

I don't quite understand what you mean by "it probably shouldn't forget the reversing". Is that to do with my opening post?

Thanks again and was nice to meet you yesterday :)
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

No I refering to
It appears as though I got the 50:50 chance of getting the correct servo orientation and throttle direction wrong
I was assuming that the transmitter was failing to remember when you had set servo reverse but having read it again you say the throttle as well and that can't be reversed so I don't know what that is.
ajw

Post by ajw »

ahh ok, I meant that I mounted the servo on the right side of my ant with the servo output shaft pointing inwards, however, had I mounted the servo on the left side of my ant with the servo shaft pointing inwards the throttle up/down would have reflected the position of the flipper, rather than its inverse like it is currently

That probably doesn't make any sense with the way I've explained it but it's hard to describe without a diagram!

Thanks again
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

I think I understood that, I replaced stewies servo with a different one and it operated the other way around to my trigger than the old one did, so I swapped it to the other side (not before blowing it up by trying to reverse the direction by reversing the wires :oops: ).