Who wants Robot Wars to come back to TV?

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Team Nuclear

Who wants Robot Wars to come back to TV?

Post by Team Nuclear »

I am posting on behalf of Matthew Pearman from the FRA

"Hi all

I know that this is a long shot but after reading various comments on robot wars videos from both the public and roboteers on youtube I though why not contact the former producer of robot wars Tom Gutteridge and I have had various emails through from him and if we can get enough signitures, he will consider making series 8 of robot wars. So if you wish to see it back on TV, please just take a second out of your time to sign the petition below.

http://www.petitiononline.com/BBrobotW/petition.html

Thanks all

Matthew P"
Ben
The creator of... Laser, Evil Pig Sty and Striker
haz

Re: Who wants Robot Wars to come back to TV?

Post by haz »

"who wants robot wars to come back to tv?"

not me
Team Nuclear

Post by Team Nuclear »

Why not?
Ben
The creator of... Laser, Evil Pig Sty and Striker
haz

Post by haz »

i think everybody has moved on and robot combat itself has grown into something much better that the old tv format
PBx

Post by PBx »

haz wrote:i think everybody has moved on and robot combat itself has grown into something much better that the old tv format
I agree with that, but that doesn't mean that a return to the TV would have to be exactly the same as before. It's not just robot combat that has moved on, so has TV formatting.
Team - Yr Morgrug
The joy is the journey
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

signed it :)
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

I'm with Haz on this one. Combat has moved on far too much for a return of the traditional Robot Wars. But I would like to see a robot combat show on TV, just more grown up and more focused on technology. It needs more of an attitude of 'Boxing for F1 cars' rather than 'Badger Baiting for tumble driers'.
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Well, I certainly disagree with that! "Boxing for F1 cars" sounds like the dullest way to present robot combat I've ever heard! :-P If it became "more focused on the technology", there'd be no real point me carrying on the way I do it, as I'm not interested in the technology in the slightest.

Does no-one do this sport for a laugh anymore? The reason I don't bother with the FRA forum much is cos its seriously lacking in the sense of fun that Robot Wars managed so well.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Team Orr

Post by Team Orr »

Dave26 wrote: Does no-one do this sport for a laugh anymore?
I do, why else would i call a robot "Deathbed: Chuck Norris doesn't win he just invites you to lose' ? :P
Personally i feel that should Robot Wars ever return to TV it would need a serious format change, if it were up to me i would put more focus on the actual battles instead of the cringe worthy pre fight interviews! Putting more emphasis on the lesser weight classes (Ants/Feathers) instead of purely the Heavyweights would be another plus point in my book. Did anybody else see the Robo Games show Grant Imahara presented on Discovery? They got the format right IMHO.
JP should be back on commentary too...
"if it wasn't for Edison we'd be watching TV by candlelight"
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

I must say that the point of view I agree most with is Dave's. Robot wars wasn't too focused on the technology and did focus on the roboteers a lot (most of which did happen to be quite entertaining). If Robot wars had been a show about technology rather than the sport of robot combat itself, it wouldn't have appealed to me as an under 10 year old and I wouldn't be here as a roboteer today (and I have a feeling it wouldn't have appealed to a lot of others who were a similar age at the time

Be more about the tech and you risk being boring, focus on what fun robots can actually be and you have a great tv show.
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.