Steering sensitivity

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

PBx

Steering sensitivity

Post by PBx »

Following some battles last Saturday it has become clear to me that either a) my reaction times are rubish (i.e. I'm too old :) ) or b) I need to find a way of making the left/right sensitivity less. Forward backward I can deal with fine, but the left right gets me everytime, and its far to easy to become a full body spinner :oops: .

Is there some way of using the full stick throw to cover say half the the current range?

Oh by the way I'm using a Giant Cod with one of Mr Wallers excellent units!
Team - Yr Morgrug
The joy is the journey
Rhys

Re: Steering sensitivity

Post by Rhys »

Yes, you can do it on a Dx6i.
Craig_Anto3

Post by Craig_Anto3 »

I dont think you can do it with a GiantCod system, I dont have one of mine with me so I can't check but I'm pretty sure you can't, A thought occurs to me, maybe PeterW or Gary can correct me but....
maybe you could put a low Ohms resistor on the steering channel to act as a pulse divider which would might reduce the amount of signal going to the controller so I might just help slow the rate of steering

just a thought
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

Sorry about my above post, didn't see you mention it was a giant cod tx. Is it the 6 channel one? If it is the programmable one then you can. You need to program the end point adjustments, it should tell you how to do this in the manual. You can set the end points as a percentage, so you can have 100% in the forward and reverse settings and then 50% for left and right, or whatever feels best for you, have a play about with it.

Also, you can set exponentials, which can be handy for controlling. Basically, the higher you set your EXPO, the less sensitive your sticks are. However, they will still give you 100% power when the stick is all the way forward or back.

edit: The is the one you can program, according to the review on their site. http://www.giantcod.co.uk/giantcod-24gh ... 03852.html
daliad100

Post by daliad100 »

A resistor in parallel with each potentiometer section will provide a non linear response although you may want to put a resistor in series with the middle lead to bring the total resistance of the potentiometer back up to what it should.

What value resistors don't know but it can be calculated to give many different response curves.
Team Imperial - What is that, metric?
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

The pot on the right stick left/right is normally the one used for steering.
I have just put a scope on the receiver and as expected full travel of the pot gives 1 to 2 ms with 1.5 in the middle.
If you place a resistor between the red wire and the pot and another between the black wire and the pot and you will reduce the range and there by reduce the steering sensitivity.
I tried it with 3.3k resitors in both wires and the full travel gave a range of 1.3 to 1.75 ms.
If you want to change it the larger the resistors you insert the less sensitive the steering control will be but 3.3k seems about right.
If you dont always require the reduced sensitivity you can add a double pole switch that shorts out the resistors as below.
PBx

Post by PBx »

Peter,

Thanks for the detail - I know what I'll be doing this weekend then :)

Paul
Team - Yr Morgrug
The joy is the journey
PBx

Post by PBx »

OK, made the mod (complete with switch) and it appears much better :) . I'll find out for real when I go to the 'sly practise' this weekend.

Whilst I was there I put in a switch for the flipper - much easier than moving the stick :)
Team - Yr Morgrug
The joy is the journey