please educate a newbie

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

suvv

please educate a newbie

Post by suvv »

hello people
i have just gotten into this and so decided to immence anouts of reserch buy watching loads of old robotwars shows on tape and am currently doodling up plans for a 6 wheel drive pusher but i noticed that thier was a rule brought into the hw robots that it had to have an active weapon and i am wondering if this is the same for ants

also im in scotland but driving to events isnt a problem i would like to know if thier is a prior registration/inspection/nose at newboy creations at the main competitions
many thanks :)
how hard can it be???
Robots: Optimistic chances of self decimation (ant), Super generic box ant that everyone builds yehhh (ant)
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

Hiya, welcome to the sport :)

The 'active weapon rule' on heavyweights isn't actually in force at the moment, I don't think it has been since Robot Wars ended. It certainly doesn't filter down to the antweights in any case as we run by our own rules and passive robots are most definitely allowed, in fact having 50% of the arena as a dropoff zone encourages them to an extent.

As for competitions, there are tech checks of every robot before the 'big' competitions (World Series, etc.) and most of the small tournaments, to make sure they comply with the rules, and even without them you'd struggle not to get a lot of fellow roboteers giving your creation the once over and offering advice (and me with my camera), we're a personable enough bunch in general :)

A 6WD pusher might be an interesting technical challenge inside 150g and a 4 inch cube, but good luck with it ^^ most events tend to be towards the south end of this sceptred isle so you might be hard pressed to find something local, but I'm hosting the next Antweight World Series in Pontefract, in West Yorkshire, which is probably as local as you get, and you're more than welcome to make that event your first one.

Hope all that helps :)
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
kickboxer

Post by kickboxer »

hi and welcome to the awesome sport of robots!

firstly you hve taken a good first robot design.
i have done a robot withaspiner for my first and there have been problems.

what are you tikin for drive . eg servos motors.
armour eg plastic metal wood card(wood and card arent te best for example wood is hay and would need to be thin but if you get it tin it will be very weak. dont use this unless you need something really light.)

do you fully know the rules aswell.
before i started i had read all the roboteer websites helps.
read the fra rules for ants.
and in total watched 100 robot wars vids.

but anyway welcome to the forum :)
haz

Post by haz »

hi and welcome to the sport, i can echo both joey and ryans responces.
about the desigh, if you pick materials carefully then 6wd may fit the weigh tlimit.
kickboxer

Post by kickboxer »

haz wrote:hi and welcome to the sport, i can echo both joey and ryans responces.
about the desigh, if you pick materials carefully then 6wd may fit the weigh tlimit.
im honerd harry
haz

Post by haz »

btw suvv, is your name alasdair sutherland?
suvv

Post by suvv »

haz wrote:btw suvv, is your name alasdair sutherland?
yer it is little spooky lol
i have some modeling experiance so im thinking of going for a carbon fiber chassie to mount everything to and im going to get my hands on a set of the 50:1 gear motors the idea im aiming for is like a mini storm 2
how hard can it be???
Robots: Optimistic chances of self decimation (ant), Super generic box ant that everyone builds yehhh (ant)
haz

Post by haz »

without the lifter?
kickboxer

Post by kickboxer »

suvv wrote:
haz wrote:btw suvv, is your name alasdair sutherland?
yer it is little spooky lol
i have some modeling experiance so im thinking of going for a carbon fiber chassie to mount everything to and im going to get my hands on a set of the 50:1 gear motors the idea im aiming for is like a mini storm 2

carbon fibre can be expensive and if you do get some you have to get a tick bit
suvv

Post by suvv »

yer im thinking of keeping it as an armourd bulldozzer at first and develop it rather than over complicate things learnt from my model boat days you got to walk first then run and please what is a tick bit??
how hard can it be???