Problems with 3D designs on Shapeways

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

andrea.taras

Problems with 3D designs on Shapeways

Post by andrea.taras »

Hello everyone! I just returned to work on my 3D model for a spinning disc that would fit my motor, but I have a problem when I upload the design into Shapeways. I used Google Sketchup for the design and I converted the file into a STL file, then I uploaded the model to Shapeways without problems and the website emailed me saying that the object is printable. The real problem occurs when I look at the 3D preview of the object through the Shapeways website: the disc is missing various parts, even though it was perfect in the sketchup model. I'm sorry if I can't explain the situation any better, but you can see what I mean in these pictures
I really don't know what I'm doing wrong. Obviously there must be something wrong with the Sketchup version of the file, but I fixed the design various times with no improvement... Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
Andrea
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

I have seen this issue with sketchup before. Try a different type of file other than stl, it might help.
TEAM GEEK!
andrea.taras

Post by andrea.taras »

Andrew_Hibberd wrote:I have seen this issue with sketchup before. Try a different type of file other than stl, it might help.
Cheers Andrew :) the problem is that I use a plugin for Sketchup which allows me to convert the file into .stl or .dxf only. I have no idea how to convert the sketchup file into other extensions. If anyone has any tip, I'll gladly appreciate it :D I tried .dxf files too and Shapeways wouldn't upload it... :-?
Andrea
josh

Post by josh »

download meshlab. There's a link to it on the shapeways website. export from sketchup into collada (.dae) and open it in meshlab then export from meshlab to .stl although looks to me as if there is a line on the inside of your model cutting it in half. if you want to email me the sketchup file I can have a look for you.
RPD International
www.RPDintl.com
andrea.taras

Post by andrea.taras »

josh wrote:download meshlab. There's a link to it on the shapeways website. export from sketchup into collada (.dae) and open it in meshlab then export from meshlab to .stl
I did that and the problem is solved! Cheers Josh :) Now just a question about their materials, since it's my first time ordering something from Shapeways. My disk should be 1mm thick with 1.5mm thick points and I'm planning on using their stainless steel. Is that thick enough to make a battle-proof disk? Or should I go for something a bit thicker?
Andrea
josh

Post by josh »

I have a feeling their stainless will be quite soft although I may be wrong. you might want to get it heat treated. I have had a 2.5mm stainless heat treated disk that was just about okay.
RPD International
www.RPDintl.com
andrea.taras

Post by andrea.taras »

I know, in fact I wanted to use titanium (that's why the disk is so thin), but sadly I couldn't find any shop that could supply/machine titanium (again, if anybody knows a good shop that would do it for me, please do tell :) ) so I had to stick to what most shops on the web had to offer, 316L stainless steel and Shapeway's ss. I've never used stainless steel before, I've only worked with aluminium so I don't really know what to expect, I have to learn everything. Cheers :)
Andrea
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

I have had a couple of parts made up in the ss from shapeways, however I am not sure a tooth would stand up to the beating.

I could recommend Kenny for machining parts, however its not cheap so get your design right first.
TEAM GEEK!
andrea.taras

Post by andrea.taras »

Ok, will see what I can do :) Are there any other alternatives for the material I can use?
Oh, and btw are 316L ss and Shapeways's ss the same kind of steel?
Andrea
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

The shapeways ss is bassically a powder which is joinned together with a lazer, it is then infused with bronze to make it solid. This is strong but no where near as strong as a part machined from one piece.
TEAM GEEK!