Problems with 3D designs on Shapeways

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

andrea.taras

Post by andrea.taras »

Ohhhh I see, I didn't know that :D So I get it that 316L ss is more resistant... But will it be enough for a spinner? :-?
If not, apart from Ti, is there any other material that I can look for?
Sorry if I keep asking about this stuff, I'm just terrified of making the wrong decision and ending up with a spinner that will bend (or at worse shatter) during its first fight... And you're the only people I can ask questions of this sort to, so please be patient :( Thank you very much :)
Andrea
josh

Post by josh »

You could have a look at tool steels if you have access to a machinist who has the facilities to work with them. I think spring steel might be quite good for a disk if you can get it machined. stainless steel is fine as long as it's thick enough and the teeth are designed right. you have to imagine how they will hit an object and there needs to be a support behind them. the shape is as important as the material.
RPD International
www.RPDintl.com
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

A spinner doesn't need to be made from a hard material, it just needs to be stiff enough to withstand impacts. Antipathy uses 4 or 5mm thick aluminium for most of the bar, with steel teeth at the end. It has stood up well to many fights and demos at Modelworld.

The teeth are made from Stanley knife blades, BUT they need to be annealed to soften them before use. Otherwise they just shatter on impact.
You could use stainless steel, Ti or mild steel for the teeth.

As Josh says, the important part is the shape. The fixings that hold the teeth onto the disc need to withstand a lot of force on every hit.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
andrea.taras

Post by andrea.taras »

Wow, that was useful!! Thanks a lot guys! I wanted to have a different shape cause I wanted an uncommon disc but it looked a bit too fragile... So now I'm gonna get to work with another design, possibly a little bit thicker :)
Andrea