Arena shape

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

earthwormjim

Arena shape

Post by earthwormjim »

Would this shape be within the rules.
About 1m x 1.2m maybe.
This is the best way I could come up with to incorporate 4 corners with a 50% drop off area.
I wanted 4 corners,but only 50% is allowed as side wall,if I understand it right??
Or do they have to be square?
Cheers Jim. :)

daliad100

Post by daliad100 »

I think the fighting area has to be above 900 square inches and can be any shape you want.

Square arenas give a nice open fighting area but with an 1800 square inch arena you shouldn't worry too much about that :D
Team Imperial - What is that, metric?
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

I think one of Peter Waller's arenas had that setup, with the short side walls, so it'd be allowed for sure - it'd be good to have a nice long area for fighting in, would be a bit like jousting :)
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

Cheers Chaps. Nice one. :)
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Section 3 of the rules tells all there is to know. :) There's nothing I can see with this arena that falls outside the rules.

The problems with larger arenas are:
1) Cost, particularly of the battlebox roof, which needs to be self-supporting and made of polycarbonate.
2) Transport, unless you have a large van and/or trailer.
3) Storage, unless you have a big shed/garage and understanding family :)
4) Bigger arenas give robots more room for manoeuvre and/or avoiding each other so a "fight" could degenerate into a "chase"!

With a 1.2 x 1.0m arena, the total perimeter is 4.4m, so each wall would be 1.1m, giving only 50mm of wall on the long sides.

I would suggest reducing the width to maybe 800mm. This would still give 50% more fighting area then PeteC's arena and about 20% more than PeterW's. The walls on the long sides would then be 100mm.

It is possible to have an 800mm square arena with 4 corners, as long as the sides at the corners are 200mm long. This gives a 400mm gap in the middle of each side. See various options for my "modular" arena: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/g0xan/robots/arena.htm

Bear in mind that it is almost impossible to drive, let alone push, a 100mm-wide robot through a 100mm gap, so gaps should be at least 200mm (IMO) to give pushers a fair chance. In fact, most types of robot usually win by pushing the opponent out!

HTH
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

Great info.I didnt realise that my plans were so big! I will try to reduce it a bit,as I dont have tons of space.Thanks alot. :)
I was planning on making a basic construction MDF arena,for something to practice on,but figured that if I am making one,it may aswell be officially useable! :)
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

i've got one that's just 3 peices of wood attached together
Pongo1471

Post by Pongo1471 »

can allways put a curve on the drop off's to increase permimmiter with minimal distance actualy coverd allowing for what would feel like a more inclosed areana within the rules?
if that makes much sence
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

Pongo1471 wrote:can allways put a curve on the drop off's to increase permimmiter with minimal distance actualy coverd allowing for what would feel like a more inclosed areana within the rules?
if that makes much sence
Was just thinking the same thing! :)