RX antennas

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Gizz

RX antennas

Post by Gizz »

Hi im curious about the 2,4gHz recievers i've seen in ants and fleas. Some only have the short antenna and others like mine got 2 of em.

My question is, would i affect the performance much if i cut the longer antenna as it seems its only a sort of safety it seems?
According to the manual it creates "dual RF paths"

Gonna run it in ants, FW's and possibly fleas so wont be that far away from it.
Using ar500 reciever from spectrum.
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

Jigsaw has a BR6000 reciever with both aerials long since fallen off (as I took the case off to lose weight) and it doesn't seem to affect range much, I can still drive it from the other end of my house :) the only change is that it takes slightly longer to bind when I first power the transmitter up.

If having no aerials at all doesn't affect range I don't see why removing one of them would ^^
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

When running in ants you would probably get away with it but in some of the bigger robots such as FW which are often completely covered in metal I would leave both arials so if one path is attenuated too much the other may be better. You are only going to gain a fraction of a gram.
Gizz

Post by Gizz »

Yeah thats true. Were more of a convinient thing as i still have too much cables in the bot as it is imo :P