New to Lipos

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

andrea.taras

Post by andrea.taras »

Ok, will follow the tip :D Cheers!
Andrea
andrea.taras

Post by andrea.taras »

Today I got the 240mah LiPo and I was amazed to see how tiny it is :D Only doubt I have is, how long is it gonna last if used with two 50:1 HP Pololu motors and this outrunner? Should be enough for like a few fights, right? :-?
Andrea
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I have been running my spinners with that brushless motor on 200mah lipo's and they last quiue a long time. Spinner fights tend to be short if you win or not.
andrea.taras

Post by andrea.taras »

peterwaller wrote:Spinner fights tend to be short if you win or not.
ahah I never thought of that, actually :D Thanks Peter :)
Andrea
Gizz

Post by Gizz »

Hijacking the thread for a minute:
A quick question about temperature and LiPO.

Im about to solder together my LiPo packs for the ants and I'm thinking about heatshrinking them for a good result.

The question is, will they be able to handle the temperature for the short time without damaging?

I've searched around the web a while now and i find they shouldn't exceed 60 degrees centrigrade (140F) or so but on another site it said if they are exposed to temperatures above 170 degrees F = 77C for over an hour they may take damage.
And the third site had some charger which stopped charging if they reached 91 degrees C / 196F.

Hence I'm not that sure what to do, the heatshrink i got shrinks at 80 degrees C / 176 F.
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

You should be ok if you don't cook the lipos with the heat gun, just enough to shrink the wrap. The wrap shouldn't store much heat so the lipo won't get hot.
TEAM GEEK!
shakesc

Post by shakesc »

Gizz wrote:
Im about to solder together my LiPo packs for the ants and I'm thinking about heatshrinking them for a good result.
Curious on what capacity you are trying to achieve if you need to solder the packs together. Can't you use a 2 cell something?
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

Some people solder two single cells together to save weight and allow for better positioning within the robot.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
Gizz

Post by Gizz »

Yeah its 2 2-cell packs, 240mAh and 340mAh for my ants, just to more easily place them and secure them.
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

Gizz wrote:Yeah its 2 2-cell packs, 240mAh and 340mAh for my ants, just to more easily place them and secure them.
It sounds like you are wanting to connect 2 packs of different capacity???
"2 2-cell packs, 240mAh and 340mAh"
I foung this from an RC site when asking about connecting 2 2 cell packs..."Yes you can. But make sure the batteries are of the same brand, capacity, have the same discharge rate and preferably are from the same batch." on this site...http://rcpak.com/index.php/forum/9-foru ... t-a-4-cell.

If they are the same capacity,and I have mis read,then you could possibly use some ready made leads,if you have the space/weight...http://www.progressiverc.com/index.php? ... 4&Itemid=1
Hope it helps.
Jim :)