cutting polycarbonate and aluminium

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

andrea.taras

Post by andrea.taras »

Hello everyone, sorry to dig up this thread, I just didn't feel like opening a new one for just one question (even though I might go slightly off topic...)
I wanted to get 1.5mm and 3mm HDPE, but I never really worked with this material, so I don't really know what to expect. Having said this, what can I use to cut it into the shapes I want? would good scissors be alright? Or will it shatter? (I have bad memories from using acrylic, you know... :roll: )
Plus, do you think 3 mm HDPE would be thick enough to make a flipper/chassis base without bending? Or maybe I should go for something thicker?
Cheers :)
Andrea
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Hi Andrea

I use 1mm and 2mm HDPE on my robots. I use scissors on both, though I think you might struggle with anything above 2mm because I find that quite hard as it is. It doesn't shatter though, so you can take a hacksaw or a jigsaw to it without any trouble. I've worked with HDPE from 1mm to 60mm and I highly recommend it.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
andrea.taras

Post by andrea.taras »

Cheers Dave :) I might buy some tin snips, so I should be able to cut through at least 3 mm... Hopefully :D
Andrea
Remote-Controlled Dave

Tin snips should work yeah. They might curl it as you cut though, but its fairly easy to bend back into shape.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
kickboxer

Post by kickboxer »

aluminium.
the best with that is tin snips.
and polycarbb.
hacksaw
Last edited by kickboxer on Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
haz

Post by haz »

1-2mm scissors
3+ junoir hacksaw
andrea.taras

Post by andrea.taras »

Grazie :) Just wondering, when I try bending some 3 mm HDPE, it should stay in place, right? If not, what can I do in order for it to stay that way?
Andrea
Remote-Controlled Dave

It will stay that way yes. Its a very easy material to work with. If I can do it, anyone can!
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
andrea.taras

Post by andrea.taras »

ahah thank you very much Dave :lol:
Andrea
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

when you bend HDPE its usually and idea to melt a line along where its folded to make sure it stays there and doesn't try to unbend itself, which had happened to me.

As for cutting out, I have used a dremel and tin snips to great effect on mine :)