3D printing

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Craig_Anto3

3D printing

Post by Craig_Anto3 »

Hi guys
looks like I'm going to be buying a 3D printer would anyone be interested in having some parts printed?

going to be within the next 6 months so wont be soon but think it might be an option for people
olivers

Post by olivers »

Craig, which one are you going for?
Craig_Anto3

Post by Craig_Anto3 »

Flippt

Post by Flippt »

Any idea what the cost for making parts would be? Volume, nummer of parts etc.
Swedish style!
Fight Robots, Not Humans!
Craig_Anto3

Post by Craig_Anto3 »

basically it will be like shapeways, online submission of solidworks .stl files which will calculate the volume you use of the selected material

so far I've used PVC in various colours, Acrylic and Alumide. PVC and Acrylic have come out well but alumide is a little sloppy might be the mixture I've used will be sorted by the time I get it up and running.

charges work like this, cost of material by volume plus machine time plus shipping. I think my machine time cost is about half that of shapeways heres an example

for my robot Magic Hate Ball I'm making some domes to make my own outershell, 45mm tall 90mm diameter 2.5mm wall thickness made of PVC

Shapeways quoted $45.60
mine would be $24.00

Also think my turn around time would be much shorter than shapeways as I dont have the volume of orders to deal with, I think I could turn an order over in 6-12 days depending on the complexity of the design
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

How does the PVC compair to the WS&F material for strength/flexability?
TEAM GEEK!
Craig_Anto3

Post by Craig_Anto3 »

its slightly heavier, its brittle buts its robust I've mocked up Anto 3 with it and it takes my weight I think i prefer it

however alumide is probably the best option
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

what programs can save the file as .stl? i was thinking about possibly getting some lifting forks machined. :)