Transmitter Modifications

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

razerdave

Transmitter Modifications

Post by razerdave »

Hi guys

As you're probably aware, my Ranger 3 has 2 modifications to the 3rd channel to allow me to fight with Baby Hell and Stewie, however, those mods only appear to work with the Ranger 3, when I tried it on a Zebra remote for the K*bot units it didn't work the same and I ended up wrecking the transmitter.

I need some advice on any way to put in press-to-connect switches (2 of)into a zebra 3 remote, because I need it to give the command full forward one one button, and full back on the other, with the motor its controlling standing neutral when neither are pressed.

The board its operating with is actually a custom made one, so to have it at neutral for calibration is essential.

Any suggestions ?
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

The end travel of a control stick is not usually the end of the pot' track. Just connecting a switch between the wiper and one end *may* damage the transmitter, or result in an invalid pulse width being transmitted.

What you need to do is wire 3 preset pot's in parallel, then use changeover switches to select between the three. Set the preset pot's to give the signals you require.

I will try to get a diagram posted up in the next few days to (hopefully) explain better...
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Diagram and more explanation at:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/g0xan/robots/override.pdf

Hope this helps
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Hey guys

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I was hoping for an explination on something.

Basically, my transmitter mod (the microswitch) is not acting the way it usually does, when the switch is pressed it usually gives me a full 90 degree servo sweep, but there is an occasional blip in which it will only do 45 degrees. I usually switch between the Baby Hell axe switch (3 positions; fire, neutral, reverse) in the full up mode and the microswitch in full fire and it does a funny twitch and then goes the full travel. It doesn't seem to be doing it ATM, and I have no idea why it does it. Any bright ideas chaps ?
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Anyone ?
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

It is a little difficult to try and work out the problem whan we don't know the exact circuit in the transmitter what the mod looks like electrically and what it does exactly. From the description it sounds as though the switch may be intermittantly giving a a poor connection but other than that it is difficult to sort out the exact fault. It is time you changed to some new 2.4Ghz gear and if you let me know exactly what you want it to do I could have a look at how best you can achieve that.
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Its hard to photograph the insides, would you be willing to take a look at it ? I'm likely to be around your area on either friday or sunday, I have to pick up something else thats near you.

I would love to convert my ants to 2.4GHz, its just the way in which the weapons are operated thats stopped me. The modification wasn't done by me, and after a chat with scott, he can't figure out how it should work :P.
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I am free on Friday afternoon from say 1:30 to 5:00 if that is OK Dave I could certainly have a look at it but no guarantees I can fix it.
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Ok, sounds like a plan, I'll drop you a message to tell you the time.

BTW, you're a very clever chap but I understand you're not a miracle worker :)
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Hey guys, digging this up again because I finally managed to convert a DX5e to use my weapon triggers (thanks to Ian Watts for the diagram, and Gary and Oliver for the explaination), but having Just converted Stewie, I found I simply can't drive it on 1 stick.

I want to convert it to Mode 1 (Elevator on the left up and down stick, steering on the right hand sideways stick) but I am unsure how I should put the pot wires from the Elevator stick on the (now vacant) throttle pot, because I know switching the power wires on a pot can sometimes lead to the magic smoke :P

Also, anyone had experience switching the spring and ratchet sets over ?