Speed Controllers

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Shakey

Post by Shakey »

Hi Peter, Just wondering how far along the DSM2 motor boards were as I was consdiering one if you managed to get them working okay.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Sorry I missed this I don't think there is any problem in doing the controller it is just finding the time as I have been a bit inundated with enquires recently. In fact it has got to the stage where I will need to call at least a pause in making them while I try to catch up. For those I have already been in discussions with I will complete any I have agreed to build but they may take a little longer.
Gizz

Post by Gizz »

Hijacking the thread for a minute.

Which controllers apart from Peters and the sabertooth is worth going for at this time for an antweight(2x 50:1 HP motors? I've looked around but havn't really found any substitutes
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

The Robot Power Scorpion Mini is a good single-channel speed controller, cost about $35 each.
As it's single channel you need 2 for a robot, and you don't get any mixing.
The advantage is that 2 small boards may fit your robot better than one larger board.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Gizz

Post by Gizz »

Ah, sounds a bit pricy but as you say it's easier to place them.
Where can i get hold of them?
Are there any else controllers you recommend?
haz

Post by haz »

servo boards are quite good
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

I've used Banebots and Scorpion Mini's as single channel controllers, both work very well, 3A for banebots and 7A for scorpions, but the 3A is enough for 4WD on 50:1 HP motors on 11.1v, but be warned, shipping on Banebots (not sure on scorpions) is madly expensive (I just had to pay ?12 postage for 2 banebots for Henry's robot)
Gizz

Post by Gizz »

thanks alot for the advice guys.
Another quickie; could i use a standard servo board to power the motor, and if so do i have to modify anything other than just solder the polulu motor onto where the old one went?
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Generally speaking you need to replace the pot from the servo with a pair of 2.2komh resistors, so you don't have to glue the pot and it takes the weight of it off the board.
Gizz

Post by Gizz »

Okey so I cant just cut the current motor wires off and solder the polulu motor on there, and just scrap the casing and gears and old motor?
Or is the pot going to move a bit and make the board go crazy?