HDPE and perspex

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Flippt

Post by Flippt »

From what I understand, you can do the welding in several ways.

The one Leo and Mario are using is called Plastic rod welding, which is a special made tool for this job.

However, you can use 'Free hand', just heat up the plastic feed, and apply to the area you wish to reapir. Although it seems like a cheaper way, its more difficult to master and takes long time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjSIkFvF ... re=related

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastic_welding
Swedish style!
Fight Robots, Not Humans!
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

On a similar theme, but a slightly different topic, I remember a plastic robot called Agent Orange (robot wars seris 3). Those guys said they welded it together in the oven. Is this as daft an idea as it sounds? They probably ruined their oven...
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
muchalucha

Post by muchalucha »

ive welded plastic with a soldering iron before and , it just burns and the joint is very weak , i know there are some exceptions to this and i know ldpe is (becasue you can melt down ldpe plastic baggies to make various robot bits) , id have to buy a heat gun but they arent too expensive .

i thought acrylic and polcarbonate was the same , my step dad has acrylic that he casts and lathes and i didnt think it was the same stuff as i had been buying in sheets.
Fight or flight ... ?

...suicide
muchalucha

Post by muchalucha »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ8dLq35 ... re=related

this looks interesting , they seem to be melting a metal mesh into the join and then covering it with plastic , looks like polyethyliene as well
Fight or flight ... ?

...suicide
muchalucha

Post by muchalucha »

ive just bought ?11 of hdpe at direct plastics , i got it cheap in the clearance section , ive got a 10mm sheet and a 6 mm sheet. thanks for all the help :D

Im interested in welding it , but from what i can see , a paint gun gets too hot and a soldering gets hot enough , but is only good for thin plastic.

EDIT: would cynocrynolate be any good , its great on similar plastics
Fight or flight ... ?

...suicide
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

AFAIK there are no glues or solvents that will join HDPE well, becuase the surface energy of HDPE is so low. PTFE is similar, as are most other "waxy" looking plastics. I have managed to glue foam tyres to HDPE (bottle top) wheels using Loctite Superglue, but it's hardly a high-stress situation.

For HDPE it's really nuts & bolts or welding. And you can't tap HDPE unless you use a rediculously coarse thread - it's too soft.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
muchalucha

Post by muchalucha »

can you screw into hdpe . will the thread just rip out if i screw i sheet of hdpe 90 degrees into another sheet.
Fight or flight ... ?

...suicide
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

If you use a thick enough sheet and a very coarse thread it will, but using 10mm HDPE and bog standard self tappers doesn't work very well, hence I use brackets now (My HDPE won't weld because of what it was treated with when it was cut)
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

I managed to tap a M6 threads into 12mm RG1000 (see my previous link) very successfully. However, in my next FW build I'm going to use inserts to bolt into.

Simon
muchalucha

Post by muchalucha »

its just welding or bolts then :(. ive already ordered it lol .

On a different not , i have tried using the motors offset so one is bout 2 inches further forwaerd than the other , it actully works very very well , and makes the whole thing a lot smaller just to bring that in :lol: .
Fight or flight ... ?

...suicide