Seeing ants at an event - Other
5%
Other
24%

Total votes: 42

Craig_Anto3

Post by Craig_Anto3 »

Andrew_Hibberd wrote:I saw extreme but that didn't convince me

it was the artical in the real robots magazine about how to build an antweight. Then that was that.
That Bloke owes me big time Mr Ian Bloody Swann, having wrote him a quick guide on how to build an antweight and giving him pictures videos and anto he had the article published, but no mention of who had given hm the info or a thank you, big thing for me was the fact the guide was almost word for word what i sent him.
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

Er, I saw Jules' ant at RW series 2 when it was found in the audience. Then I built my first ant for AWS3. That was about 5 years ago. eek. Oh, and now I'm back and thinking of building an Ant. How is everyone???
Marco Roberts

Post by Marco Roberts »

Ohhh how I got into ants is quite a story.
I basicaly got into Robot wars and was prity set on building a robot. But i was quite young at the time and really didnt have enough know how. I however did play around a lot with small electronics and I flew with my dad rc planes. Once I got hold of the internet for the first time on the dreamcast (yes I was that much of an internet noob) I started checking out robots on the web.
I then wondered onto robotwars.com (didnt know about .co.uk yes i know nooby) and joined the forums.
I then while messing around with my various scaletrix motors and other various electronics from rc plains, I had a brain storm. Why not a minitur versoin of robot wars. I was thinking like 500g to a kilo or something but I had all ready made a couple of moving almost ant weight things.
I posted my stuff on the forums and then walla I got a couple of messeges back, with constructive comments. Then one guy told me some very good news. It has all ready been done!? I was so happy, I checked his link straight away and was sent to the tin web website.
There I joined and spammed for a while before I learned self respect and that these guys didnt like topics created :P
I was on the site just after aws 1 and was reading how poor close shave was too heavy to compete. This was before aws2 were alan managed to shave some weight, competed and won aws 2.
So thats prity much it for how I got started. I was embarressed but got the guts to compete at aws 4 ( was quite a while before I competed) and I sucked. Compared to craig which was his first time (as far as im aware) and won the comp.
So thats how I got started....
<-=AWS 10 1st and 2nd champ=->
<-=AWS 13 1st and 2nd champ=->
starbucks

Post by starbucks »

I found out about them in the book Real Robots. It was a magazine series a while ago. I found them really interesting. And now i am building 2 for my GCSE Sytems and Control Final project. I have nearly finished and am vacuum forming plastic shells.
(*)Our new (well old) forum!

http://compsandcons.jconserv.net
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

My friend and co-creator Chris showed me a couple of Real Robots magazines where Chaos 2 member Ian Swann demonstrates how to build a working, yet mind-numbingly pathetic antweight robot. Since then I've been hooked and we're building Nemesis.

Nick, co-creator of Nemesis
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

Nemesis wrote:Ian Swann demonstrates how to build a working, yet mind-numbingly pathetic antweight robot.
Not actually that pathetic. If it's the one I'm thinking of, I spent most of my time practising against it at IRR2003, and it was very good. Still beat it though :p
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

It was 100g i think, paper armour.... what else ... all servos where naros

I built it and went i can do better, must have made about 20 versions before aws14.
TEAM GEEK!
Renalt

What got me into ants

Post by Renalt »

3 things:

1: I missed battlebots on TV

2: I played a game called "robot rage" and I wanted to build a real robot

3: I went to robotamarketplace and found an ant section, and I really wanted to make one!
leo-rcc

Post by leo-rcc »

I was building Heavyweight robots for years and decided that it was about time i got a robot in all existing active weight classes. So now i have a feather, 3 heavies, and 1.5 ants. Working on a Raptor (6kg) and a sozbot (450 gram).
Best regards,

Leo van Miert.
Dutchrobotgames
Team RCC website
patdied

Post by patdied »

You guys are all lucky. I live in Canada and there is none of thoughs stuff here in Canada. I'll be very happy to see battlebots or robot wars on T.V. but their not on anymore. That's why I watch videos from you tube. I made a topic for pictures and videos. :-?