AWS'60 Results Analysis

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

LimaHotel

Re: AWS'60 Results Analysis

Post by LimaHotel »

jes wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:37 am Hmm, taking a look at AWS'59 might be worth doing
You'll wanna watch AWS58. Not that 59 isn't worth watching, but 58 is great.
A grabber? I CHALLENGE IT WITH JIGGY!
GeorgeR

Post by GeorgeR »

I'm not sure stats are ever going to answer your question, there are simply too many other variables. In particular, how well the robot is designed and built, and how well driven it is, are both much more important than the type of machine.

That said, I do think some designs are more competitive than others, I'd say Flippers (rear hinged wedge type), 4wd Pushers, and Vertical Spinners are probably the most competitive designs. I wouldn't recommend a spinner as a first bot, so a flipper or 4wd pusher would be a good choice for a first attempt.

Overall I wouldn't worry about your first robot being competitive, it almost certainly won't be - just build it and get to an event, the experience of building and competing will tell you far more than stats.

Finally, as LimaHotel said, definitely check out AWS58, it's great (I may be a bit biased though).
Team Zero - AWS 58 Champion!
Zero - rambot - - Axiom - axebot - - Valkyrie - drum spinner
Blueprint - rambot - - Vampire - horizontal spinner - - Particle - ???
RBMK - quad spinner gyro walker - - Duality - dual spinner gyro walker
jes

Post by jes »

I had already watched & enjoyed AWS58 before I had the idea of trying to do stats on the results, just for fun :)

I did watch AWS59 and wrote down the results:

Doesn't look like there's that much correlation with AWS60 so probably not much conclusion can be drawn here.
GeorgeR wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:59 pm I wouldn't recommend a spinner as a first bot, so a flipper or 4wd pusher would be a good choice for a first attempt.
I'm probably going to go with a 4WD pusher (which, due to my inexperience, was grouped with "wedges" in the results I wrote down). I put this together today just to see how it all works:

It drives but it's a bit slow, I now have some 600rpm gear motors on order.

The actual bot will be 3d printed, and I currently plan to make a "build log" thread documenting the design and construction.
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

aws59 was smaller than the usual aws's

so 57, 58 and 60 would give a better ballance as these were all on the larger side.
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

It's always interesting to see breakdowns like this. Though just to add I don't think we actually have any fully fledged meltybrains competing, I thought they were all just Sit and Spins.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!