Arena Hazards

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Retroman

Arena Hazards

Post by Retroman »

What’s everyone’s feelings about arena hazards?

Backstory; I was planning to build a battle box for testing purposes, then realised for an extra few quid in materials I could build a full arena, planning on having on edge as full drop-off and a rounded corner “pit” with corner stops to prevent simply ramming and driving along a wall (sketch to follow shortly) but I’ve been looking at turning the other corner into a sort of radius ramp (almost like a quarter pipe) to maybe allow some sort of area to shunt opponents and turn them over/confuse/etc...

Hopefully I can make it removable to make the arena more versatile, and it will be made from offcuts and will only cost some time.

Really I just want to know if anyone would like that sort of thing or would I be wasting my time?

To clarify this will be an AW arena.

Edit: the current design allows for a 40% drop-off, the rules state 50% but I have seen quite a few mentions of it not being too important anymore, would this be suitable?

(Also posted at FRA just to get a feel)
Team Pushover - worse at this than you are!
Pullover, Wej, The Ridic-U-Loch-Ness Monster (AW)
Leopold (BW)
Pushover (1/2 of at least) (FW)
Shakey

Re: Arena Hazards

Post by Shakey »

I like the idea and have thought some way for pushers to 'flip' a bot would be cool and add some interest to pusher v pusher fights.

On hazards in general I actually enjoy them, stuff like bristols corner flipper is great fun (Though for an AWS you'd want to figure some kind of automatic trigger).
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
Retroman

Post by Retroman »

'Operator bias' is the main reason I've been thinking about static hazards... for now...

I fancy being able to add something a bit silly to spice things up a bit, although an automatic flipper does sound pretty cool...
Leopold (BW)
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

I personally would be against a flipper. Hazards are great, but should be things that do not interfere with the mobility of the competitors. Eg. the spike trap in robot wars was awful what were they thinking, however the flame pits were really cool. The killsaws of battlebots decide way too many fights, whereas the screws are an awesome hazard (Especially in how they're designed not to be a KO). I also really like the screws in KoB. The arena Flipper is a tricky one - it was too trigger happy in the Robot Wars reboot. Basically, hazards should make things interesting, but not be capable of, on their own, deciding a match. The corner ramp sounds awesome!

Please note - I'm not suggesting a flamethrower in a ant arena made of wood and plastic that becomes brittle when exposed to heat (polycarb). I'm just saying that whatever hazards do get added shouldn't, in my opinion, interfere with the ground - ie. no killsaw slots, no spike traps or pushrod annoyances that just stop the competitors moving, etc.

Aight I'm done. Disagree away! :p
A grabber? I CHALLENGE IT WITH JIGGY!
Retroman

Post by Retroman »

I agree regarding the spike trap if I’m honest... stupid... anyway, this is the whole reason o wanted opinions, none are wrong, just food for thought.

Your main point is wholly where I am if I’m honest, I wanted to use the corner to leave as much flat area for fights as possible.

An automated flipper appeals to my “I wonder if...’ side, if pulled off correctly it would be cool little toy imho

Edit: I could probably make flamethrowers work in the area (for a while anyway) but my bots are plastic, I think they’d die before the arena did...
Leopold (BW)
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

i have to agree with no hazzards that can end a fight... IMO, hazzards should be mainly for show...

if floor flipper, then definitely automated...

but i also think there should be equal hazzards at each side of an arena... as in i dont think its fair to have a pit one side and drop off on the other as this would give any bots starting on a particular side a slight advantage (one bot has to aim for a pit when pushing where as the other would just need to aim at the missing wall) so draw a line perfectly centre and have equal pits and any other hazzards on both sides... have the flipper so that half and half is either side of the line...

maybe have your "vert ramp" take a whole side wall with a pit each corner the opposite side so some form of symmetry is there...
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
Retroman

Post by Retroman »

Point taken on symmetry... hadn’t thought of that if I’m honest, I’ll attach the “sketch” to help visualise everything, might make it easier for everyone to input.

Although 2 ramps and 2 corner pits could work :|

(I think I did that right, bear with me...) Edit: Yay!!! I did! Check ME out!!

Apologies for the quality of the artwork, but it should convey the general gist.

Looking at approx. 85x90cm area, minus space for corner hazards, pit(s) will be 150mm+ in all dimensions with polycarbonate sides so I can throw in some red LEDs for cool points, corner blocks as OP which will also allow easy attachment of extra walls, and some kind of lighting rig built into the top/sides so we all get a good clear view.

The vert ramp is tucked into a corner and theoretically should allow you to ram/shove your opponent all the way up onto the polycarb sides (6mm most likely) and they will tumble/bounce sort of randomly due to the corner.

Hope that makes sense, i can see it in my head already and I have all materials ready except the battle box, and a week off coming up...
Leopold (BW)