Pre modded servo boards for escs?

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Hogi

Pre modded servo boards for escs?

Post by Hogi »

Hi guys.i've found a number of pre modified continuous rotation servos online and I was wondering, would the boards from them make usable escs? I assume so because I know people mod servo boards all the time but wasn't sure.
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)
Ant Ipodean

Re: Pre modded servo boards for escs?

Post by Ant Ipodean »

Hi Daniel

I have been using the ESC from these ..
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DOMAN-R ... 2e0eyqMeae

They are different to standard servo electronics, in that they have a proper centre off - dead zone.
I have also found that they have a good proportional speed control, whereas other 360 servo ESCs I tried just seem to provide "all or nothing" in each direction.

I initially used them with a regulated 6 volt supply with N20s, but have got more adventurous and now use them to run N20s at 2S - 8.4 volts, so far without any failures in combat.
The next thing in terms of a "burn test" would be to try using one to run 2 N20s (for one side of a 4WD), but I haven't been that bold yet!

For under £2 and 1 gram, give them a try and let me know how you get on?

Mike.
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

Cheers. Did you have to modify the boards in any way or just remove the potentiometer from the casing and use the board as it comes?
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Ant Ipodean

Post by Ant Ipodean »

No mods needed at all.
There is no potentiometer.
These are really a purpose made small 2 way ESC.

Note that if you run 2S - 8.4 volts and an Rx that can only handle 6 volts, you will need to regulate a power source for the Rx.
I tend to use Rx that is rated to 10 volts, so no problem.
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

Thank you. Which rx do you use normally?
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Ant Ipodean

Post by Ant Ipodean »

This is our preferred Rx ..
https://www.banggood.com/Flysky-FS2A-4C ... rehouse=CN
We tend to use the FlySky i6 Tx.

Or if you have a 6 volt Rx and a weapon motor, maybe the weapon ESC has a BEC function.
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

I've ordered the servos and 2 of those RX's. Will those rxs work for dsm2 tx or will have to get a new one that is compatible?
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Kyro

Post by Kyro »

if your refering to the link in the post above yours, they run off of ahfds/ahfds 2a which is the protocol flysky tx use... luckily flysky transmitters are cheap as chips.

i personally use and recommend the flysky fs-i6 which is compatible with afhds and afhds 2a... can pick one up for about £35 with a 6 channel receiver...

they are also branded under turnigy which i believe is a tgy-i6 but dont hold me to that...

and i think one is branded eachine but dont know the model...

here is a link from ebay for the flysky with the rx for £33.45

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flysky-FS-i6 ... 5137045012
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

I just bought a Turnigy Evolution (Also Flysky protocol), I really like the design of the tx, it's like a game controller. They are very good value.

Unfortunately it arrived totally dead, and it wouldn't charge. HK have promised to send a replacement. They didn't want the old one returned, so I opened it to try to repair. The lithium cells were totally dead (zero volts), so I recharged them a bit from a bench supply. I managed then to get it to turn on, then take at least some charge.

But I am beginning to suspect that there is another fault, it was exhibiting some weird behaviour (including turning itself on?!) . Maybe it has an electronic fault which was the underlying cause of the flat battery. It's possible that the charging / power circuit is defective.

The unit does actually work as a transmitter (+ also as a video game controller ) - but I wouldn't want to use this at an event unless it was plugged into a power bank.

So if you can pick up a working one, I'd recommend it. As far as I can see, HK have supplied others with a similar fault - maybe it's a faulty batch, or perhaps they keep them too long in the warehouse and the cells go dead.
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

maybe check for excess solder causing a short... some people have issues with messy soldering and bits of excess solder rattling about... i didnt have any when i opened mine up but worth a look...

try the fs-i6 i mentioned above... i have not had any problems... the only bad thing i would say is that cheap batteries don't last long... and i need to get a voltage regulator to run it from a 2s as it runs from 6v normally... some people have been able to run straight from a 2s with no issues but im not brave enough... i tried making a voltage limiter using a few resistors, it worked according to the built in volt meter but they got really hot so im probably going to get a regulator and use one of my big 2s packs to power my tx...
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)