Botbitz 10 amp ESCs for weapon

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Hogi

Botbitz 10 amp ESCs for weapon

Post by Hogi »

Hi guys. I am looking to build a robot with a geared motor driven weapon. Possibly an axe, grabber or flipper. Would the botbitz 10 amp be a suitable ESC to control such a weapon and also, how well would a geared motor fare at driving a flipper or grabber? I have seen them used to drive axes before but never anything else. Thanks.
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)
MarkR

Re: Botbitz 10 amp ESCs for weapon

Post by MarkR »

I used a 100:1 gear motor for the flipper on Betsie. I over-volted it to 17 volts, it works pretty well. I guess you'd get a really good flip, either by over-volting the motor to 12v (e.g. run on 3S pack, or use a boost module like I did), or by using a "high power" gear motor.

The standard gear motors stall at less than 1A (high power, maybe 2A) so a 10A ESC is overkill, but it would work.
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

Thank you. Where did you get the 100:1 motor from please? Also how much flipping strength did you get from it? Is it better than just using a micro servo?
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

GeorgeR

Post by GeorgeR »

I'd say the botbitz 10a is definitely on the large side. If you're looking for a single channel esc the fingertech tinyesc, or the Vex 29 are much better choices. I use the vex to drive my axebot weapon motors and it's worked great.
Team Zero - AWS 58 Champion!
Zero - rambot - - Axiom - axebot - - Valkyrie - drum spinner
Blueprint - rambot - - Vampire - horizontal spinner - - Particle - ???
RBMK - quad spinner gyro walker - - Duality - dual spinner gyro walker
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

The 100:1 was a standard aliexpress-or-similar N20 gear motor.

I'd say it flips a lot better than a weak or cheap servo, but looking at some of the other Ants at the tournaments, some of the higher spec metal gear servos do flip very well too. I don't know enough about the different models of servos to know which ones they are.
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

It used to be the servo of choice was the TURNIGY™ TGY-306G-HV ULTRA FAST/HIGH TORQUE DS/MG/HV ,or the "Pink" servo. Unfortunately they seem to have ceased production on them which SUCKS! Those servos were 20g so not the lightest, but had 3.7kg of torque and had a 60 degree rotation time of 0.05, WAY faster than any other servo I've found. Turnigy seems to have replaced them with what I fully expect to be referred to as Blue Servo or something (the DMC809 coreless). It's a bit cheaper, has 3.8kg of torque, is half a gram lighter and .02 seconds slower, though 0.07 seconds for 60 degree rotation is still faster than most. I haven't tried one yet, but they look tempting...
A grabber? I CHALLENGE IT WITH JIGGY!
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

The DMC809 is only rated at 6 volts not the full 8.4 V which you get from running directly off a 2 cell LiPo that the TGY-306G-HV was.
I have used the EMAX ES9256 HV it is a very similar spec, slightly more expensive and the wires come out the bottom but otherwise is almost exactly the same. See https://www.servoshop.co.uk/index.php?p ... area=Servo
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

Ohkay that's good to know. Yeah, that EMAX looks GOOD. Mind you, if they carry your recommendation I guess they would be!
Out of curiosity is overvolting a servo just a really bad idea? I kinda figured that as we don't tend to massively stress our servos it'd be relatively fine?
But yeah, thanks for that! I've bookmarked that link!
A grabber? I CHALLENGE IT WITH JIGGY!
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

Thanks guys. I want to build a flipper bot that can actually throw an opponent rather than just turning them over. Pneumatics looks a bit complex and I dont want to have limited flips so I think one of these servos might have to do it.
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

voorsk

Post by voorsk »

LimaHotel wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:59 pm Out of curiosity is overvolting a servo just a really bad idea? I kinda figured that as we don't tend to massively stress our servos it'd be relatively fine?
As far as I know (ie: I'm probably wrong), overvolting a servo doesn't work very well. The motor alone could probably take it, but the circuitry doesn't like it at all, and starts misbehaving.
Team BLEEP Suspicious Houmous / Sprouting Potato / Fermented Melon / Black Carrot