AWS rule polls 2019

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

razerdave

AWS rule polls 2019

Post by razerdave »

Hi all
So, the AWS committee has been in discussion about rule changes for the upcoming AWS’s, but obviously we require input from the community.

Due to our usual rule discussions going round in circles, we have opted for a poll for rule changes with a set time limit (in the case of the first set, the poll ends the day before the AWS).

Rules can be discussed but the votes will stand; anything glaring we have missed will be discussed and amended by the committee accordingly.

Voting form:
https://goo.gl/forms/V6k5wv2HoQ4VNang2

More sets of rule changes will follow post AWS.
MarkR

Re: AWS rule polls 2019

Post by MarkR »

Agree on most points.

Safety - about running (non-spinner) robots outside the arena and charging in Lipo bags - I think it's not inherently dangerous in Antweight or smaller scale and should probably be at the discretion of the event organiser and doesn't need to be in the rules (but the EO can of course, make their own). Clearly, running spinners outside of the arena / test box is insane and mustn't be done (but you already covered that).
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
TeamScrewUp

Post by TeamScrewUp »

Filled it in. Dunno why i needed to say....
Daaa
Manta ray (2WD wedge bot)
Nom (Grabber)
Arena Sweeper (Undercutter)
FORCE WALL (Front-hinged Flipper)
Ocracoke

Post by Ocracoke »

Personally, I already enforce the "spinners need switches" rule and the "LiPo bags for charging in" for BotFest, they just seemed like sensible things to do.

There was one thing that I think might be worth discussing though in regards to the aerials rule change. Osu is a bit weird in that it uses a removable link. Just before Ant Freeze 6, it struck me that the removable link that I ended up using might cause the robot to breach the 4 inch limit because of its length. Is it worth clarifying what does and what doesn't count towards rule 2b?
Team Kaizen

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
FW: Azriel
MW: Jibril, Kaizen
James Williams

Post by James Williams »

Hi, a quick question regarding the "no contact restart" rule.
If a part of a clusterbot drives off the edge before contact is made, should the match still be restarted?
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

To add in:

The LiPo bag rule is one I feel is important for the ruleset with regards for the need to be more formal with the admin side of the events. Especially with regards to stuff like insurance. It's a good tick box to have to make them happy and help guard the sports future.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
voorsk

Post by voorsk »

Filled it in!

i hope some of the other alterations are gonna involve the use of drones, especially if the no contact restart rule gets written in.
Team BLEEP Suspicious Houmous / Sprouting Potato / Fermented Melon / Black Carrot
TeamScrewUp

Post by TeamScrewUp »

The Lipo rule is a weird one. With bringing them already in bags i feel they should only if

A) you do it anyway or

B) If you feel you have a dodgy lipo on you. But its never too bad to be safe.
Daaa
Manta ray (2WD wedge bot)
Nom (Grabber)
Arena Sweeper (Undercutter)
FORCE WALL (Front-hinged Flipper)
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

James:
As it stands, the match wouldn’t be restarted if one part simply drove out. If both bits did and no contact was made, then we’d restart. I know there is contention regarding the drones atm but that is for future discussion; one bit at a time :)
James Williams

Post by James Williams »

Cheers Dave, it was the drones in particular that was causing the confusion. Glad it's getting addressed (I can only imagine how awkward it is to get a fair rule to cover all bases). :D