Team Rocket, Updates and Reports

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Kyro

Re: Lukes ramblings

Post by Kyro »

so... antfreeze happened...

learned a lot from it... 187 needs a lot of work... i was outwedged by a decent wedge then out pushed by a tracked pusher... well, out gripped really...

useless did about as well as i thought it would...
i actually lasted a decent bit longer in the first fight than i thought i would, but the wall and my lack of power in reverse killed any chances of a simmilar performance in the second fight...

dusty however did pretty well... piloted by my son Kearan.

first fight was a loss... which was put down to nerves and still recovering from a bout of travel sickness... the second though... the second fight he went up against a cluster... after pinning then flipping one into the pit the other unfortunately drove its self into the pit... a win, and another chance to fight... fight 3 was against a flipper, the name evades my memory but i know it was one from team panoramic who i know is an expereinced roboteer.

after a bit of back and forth the opponent got himself high sided on the pit edge then fell in... another win, another fight...

then the final fight... up against Valkyrie from GeorgeR... he did well keeping the front scoop between the drum and the rest of dusty... Valkyrie took plenty of nibbles from the scoop, bending up the corners and shattering the acetate... a decent hit flipped dusty over but Kearan got her self righted before Valkyrie could deal any extra damage... unfortunately, he ended up driving into the pit...
but after his performance, big proud dad moment...

overall, i had a great time and got to meet a few of you... i will be back better than ever for aws...

the thing that surprised me the most... my mrs... after showing next to no interest in what we were going to go see now wants me to build her her very own spinner so she can take part... she really loved it... from me talking about what i was building and how it would work and just getting "mhmm's" to now her actually wanting to talk about it and finding robots she likes the look of for me to take inspiration from...

so although I didn't win a single one of my fights, i feel like the champion given the great results i had...

a big thanks to limpet for organising the event, and a big thanks to everyone that attended to make it a great day...

i look forward to aws, but i have plenty of redesigning and improvements to make before i can become competitive...

Luke
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

so... how do i go about hooking 2 esc's to one receiver and 1 battery? i can figure out the battery part but i power my receiver from my esc... but 2 would mean 2 lots of power feeding to the rx... would disconnecting the positive from 1 esc work or would that make the second esc useless?

also, both esc's are 10amp... i fear my 180mah micro tech wouldn't handle 10amps x2 as i think they can handle 4.5amps... so i think 2 in parallel might be the answer unless someone can guide me down another route... either that or i have a 400mah 25c 2s which can handle 10amps but weighs a bit more than 2 micro techs... ahhh what to do... the 10 amps for the esc would be split between 2 motors if that makes a difference

Luke
Team Rocket
Io(4wd flipper)
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

ignore the last part, my motors draw 1.7amps at stall so well within the limits they will be drawing... just the 2 esc question im curious about now
Team Rocket
Io(4wd flipper)
GeorgeR

Post by GeorgeR »

You got it right with disconnecting the positive wire from one of the escs, if you leave them both connected the two power supplies "fight" each other and you'll burn one of them out. The second esc will still receive the signal from receiver and run fine.
Team Zero - AWS 58 Champion!
Zero - rambot - - Axiom - axebot - - Valkyrie - drum spinner
Blueprint - rambot - - Vampire - horizontal spinner - - Particle - ???
RBMK - quad spinner gyro walker - - Duality - dual spinner gyro walker
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

thanks, that confirmation helps a lot.

i figured it may work but i didn't want to test it and burn something out...
Team Rocket
Io(4wd flipper)
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

ok so my son has a 3 day scout trip next weekend so my mrs will be taking over his team for the day... she will be piloting Juggernaut along with the new and improved dusty

and i will be piloting Dominus and Octane

and if my parts arrive by then, each will be piloting one half of a cluster bot yet to be built...

if my cluster is pitted against one of her bots, i may need to borrow a driver... also if any of my bots end up going up against dusty, i may need to borrow someone to operate the flipper for her as the button on the controller is awkwardly placed for her to use it. i have made a plug in extension with a flipper button... its just a momentary switch so its 2 clicks to open and then close the flipper.

said driver would probably be using a pistol grip controller to operate one half of the cluster if i get it built in time to enter, if they are any good with one, if not i could use that and give my stick controller to them to use...

so really, i guess im asking if anyone who is attending aws wants to be possible driver/weapon operator if the need arrises...

anyone willing, just let me know and we can sort everything out on the day.

i use flysky rx so if anyone has a flysky tx they would prefer to use then feel free to bring it along incase its needed... but otherwise, anyone interested in the job let me know

cheers

Luke
Last edited by Kyro on Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Team Rocket
Io(4wd flipper)
voorsk

Post by voorsk »

great looking bots, as always. :)

i especially liked dusty's chunky new look at antfreeze. reminded me of Onslaught from RW
Team BLEEP Suspicious Houmous / Sprouting Potato / Fermented Melon / Black Carrot
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

yeah dusty did have that onslaught look to it... front scoop simmilar shape...
i liked onslaught, probably one of the only bots with car steering... i don't recall any others with car steering in the main events... i think there was a little one called beefcake in one of their mini events which was basically an rc car with a metal box around it... killerlot flattened it... and I think one had like 2 domes that pivoted in the middle for steering... milliann bug or something... cant quite remember the name... otherwise they were all tank steering as far as i can remember...
Team Rocket
Io(4wd flipper)
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

so the battle report from AWS...

well my son had a scouts event so luckily my mrs was able to take over his team for the event so i will start with her.

after no more than 10 minutes practise with the 2 bots she was piloting on the day, i didnt have high hopes... first fight was with dusty, unfortunately she lost... i cant remember who it was against but i remember her having trouble with controling the bot...
second fight was with Juggernaut, against a nasty vertical spinner. juggernaut took a few decent hits (which it took really well) and luckily enough, the spinner ended up in the pit... a win for my mrs... next fight was with dusty against wedge wedge wedge which she lost and was now out however her control of it was far better than in the first fight... 1 bot down...
4th fight was juggernaut again, and in a cruel twist of fate she was put up against me with dominus... what to do... i told her to stay away from the pits and we will just have a pushing fight (my plan was to let judges decide the winner) this fight was much more controlled from her but after some push and shove she ended up driving in the pits... juggernauts first loss

5th fight was up against a 2wd wedge and after lots of push and shove it went to the judges... i felt she was the slightly more aggressive driver although very close and ultimately, the judges agreed... win 2 for juggernaut.

6th fight was against Dimitri, the nasty drum spinner... after getting a good hit, Dimitri took off the edge of the wedge on juggernaut, this seemed to flick a switch and my mrs suddenly went on a rampage, pushed dimitri into the pit with the wall then backed up and knocked him over and out 3rd win for her with juggernaut and the first fight she won without luck or judges...

she complained that juggernaut was too slow now she was used to it so i set the rates back up to 100%

her 7th fight she unfortunately lost due to getting stuck on the pit edge but overall, a great performance.

my battle report

so i was called up first to fight in the event, i was against i think megabite (something bite) which was a hydraulic crusher... very scary... i was fighting with my rush built 3rd robot mantis... i managed to avoid the crusher and got a good grip onto megabite but i lacked the traction so effectively push him where i wanted him... i managed finally to get megabite stuck on its back plate and immobile... a win

next up was dominus. i cant remember my opponent, but it was another win as they ended up in the pit...

3rd fight was mantis again... up against the pigsty cluster bot after some push and shove i ended up driving myself in the pit... bad days...

4th fight was dominus up against the mrs with juggernaut... you already know the results of this fight

so the 5th fight was finally with octane... i was against a front hinged flipper... i was both outdriven and outflipped and ended up in the pit.

fight number 6 was with dominus again up against the gripper wedge whos name evades me... the same bot that beat dominus's predecessor, 187 at ant freeze... and after driving straight up his wedge and getting gripped i was dragged towards the pit and it looked like i was beaten, but somehow, instead of dropping me into the pit, i was released slightly too soon, got away and he ended up driving in the pit... a win that was pure luck and i didnt really deserve, but il take it.

fight 7 was mantis against a robot called pushbot or something... 3,2,1 fight was called and i managed to straight away grab hold of it and dump it into the pit... definitely my cleanest win of the day.

fight 8 was with octane again, i cant remember who against but it was a fairly even fight right up until i drove into the pit... 2 losses, octane was out.

fight 9 was dominus against i cant believe its not stanley... was fairly even up until i got myself stuck on the pit edge and was knocked in, a first loss for dominus..

fight 10 was mantis up against a flipper who's name evades me... great, time for some revenge for the last fight... i got under his wedge and gripped hold... but swiftly flipped his way out of my grasp... ok i will try again, same thing... after being flipped about a bit i was finally pinned up against the wall pit and flipped out... no revenge for me and now mantis was out...

so just dominus left...

fight 11 was dominus against the 4wd pusher from team oink... again some push and shove... even fight up until i ended up inverted and couldnt get myself back to where my wedge was effective... but i kept up the aggression and was rewarded with him driving into the pit... 4 wins for dominus and i had made it into the top 16

fight 12... i was drawn up against ant ratchet... after a bit of back and forth i was pitted and was finally out...

happy with my performance and happy with just how well my mrs did...

but its not over... both me and the mrs entered the rumble... i think it was something like 24 robots... i took mantis in and she took juggernaut in... i started off ok but ended up caught in a pile of bots with my back exposed to a vertical spinner with no way to defend myself... 1 hit... 1 hit and it was all over for mantis... that 1 hit took my back plate off, cut through my battery connector unplugged my weapon servo as well as mashing up the wires in the process, bent one of my receiver pins, damaged one of my esc connectors... basically, mantis had his veins severed... after replacing the battery connector and attempting the connect the esc back to the receiver i only have 1 wheel that works... mantis needs a proper rebuild though so im not upset...

the mrs managed to get herself into the top 5 in the rumble... pitting a few robots in the process but the pit wasnt her friend this event and she ended up driving into it...

overall i had a great day and my mrs enjoyed competing far more than she enjoyed spectating at antfreeze, and she really enjoyed herself at antfreeze...

thanks to spaceman for organising such a great event and i look forward to the next event
Team Rocket
Io(4wd flipper)
voorsk

Post by voorsk »

great writeup!

i wish my wife would get into bot fighting, instead of moaning about it. :P
Team BLEEP Suspicious Houmous / Sprouting Potato / Fermented Melon / Black Carrot