Best NanoTwo alternative?

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

mackemforever

Best NanoTwo alternative?

Post by mackemforever »

Completely new to all of this, just starting to put together a parts list for my first batch of antweights but am a little bit stuck on the area of ESC selection.

I know that the generally accepted easiest/best option is going with a NanoTwo but I also know that they're damn near impossible to get your hands on.

The other option that I've heard being mentioned quite a lot is the Dasmikro 256A but I'm not sure how good an option it is. I've heard from a few different places that it has a nasty habit of cutting out if used with a high powered servo which given that my first bot is planned as a flipper operated by a TGY-306G-HV servo wouldn't be ideal.

Is there any decent, comparable option to the NanoTwo floating around out there at the moment?
peterwaller

Re: Best NanoTwo alternative?

Post by peterwaller »

I am not particularly recommending the Dasmikro but the problems with controllers cutting out with high power servo's is when they take more current than the controller BEC can deliver. The Turnugey S302G-HV can run straight from the 2 cell lipo so it shouldn't be a problem.
James Williams

Post by James Williams »

Hi there

If you don't want a Dasmikro then the guys at ARC robotics have started making & selling their own ESC's for about £30. Unlike the NanoTwo's however they do require a separate receiver as well as some soldering work (they have all the info on their site). I have a couple of these that I'm going to start putting together over the next couple of weeks.
Dazmund

Post by Dazmund »

This one? https://www.arc-robotics.org.uk/product ... ontroller/

It's made by another UK robotics team and regular AWS hosts, and though you need to have a separate receiver, you can get that from them too.
DAZ DUZ BOTZ

Fili-PA (wedge flipper)
Watta Doze (tank tracked pusher)
Wolfhead (front wheel drive flipper)
2-2 Liftman (fork lifter)
The Ting Goes Grrrab (grabber/control)
mackemforever

Post by mackemforever »

Thanks for the mention of the ARC option.

Anybody used the BotBitz 10A ESC?
GeorgeR

Post by GeorgeR »

Another couple of options are the Fingertech Tiny Esc's or the Endbots DESC.

The Fingertechs are only single channel, and aren't cheap, but have been used very successfully by a number of people. The Endbots comes as a twin channel esc with a receiver built-in, similar to the NanoTwo. I've not (to my knowledge) seen one used in a UK ant, but it seems like a popular option for 150g bots over the pond.

The Dasmikro is not something I would personally recommend, the quality was very poor in the units I had, and many people have had issues with reliability. That said, a number of people do use them, so if you're willing to weed out the junk units then they could be an option.

The Botbitz 10a are a bit big for an Ant, they're mostly used for beetleweights.
Team Zero - AWS 58 Champion!
Zero - rambot - - Axiom - axebot - - Valkyrie - drum spinner
Blueprint - rambot - - Vampire - horizontal spinner - - Particle - ???
RBMK - quad spinner gyro walker - - Duality - dual spinner gyro walker
Paulmchurd

Post by Paulmchurd »

I found a couple of alternatives from china. I have ordered one and will test and update you all. It says it can handle 1-3s and 5A. Seems like a nice package and it's not overly big.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/329197113 ... 2919711364

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/328495992 ... 2849599243
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

That second board says it can take 10A and it looks really meaty with discrete mosfets. Maybe not for an antweight, it seems massively over-rated.
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands