Advice on using a pistol grip transmitter

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Dazmund

Advice on using a pistol grip transmitter

Post by Dazmund »

I'm building a simple pusher robot with a Zumo chassis with a static scoop and no active weapons, and I was thinking of using a fairly cheap pistol grip transmitter with receiver (looking at a GoolRC TG3 with 3 channels) to drive it, and I'm looking to use the DasMikro speed controller for the motors I have. As you can tell, I am completely unfamiliar with these, so I'm going to ask a few questions.

I have seen the likes Ian Lewis and Gabriel Stroud drive Razer and Sabretooth with these pistol grip transmitters in a tank steer style. Is this the default setting for these transmitters? If not, how would I program them to be a tank steering set-up?

I'm also aware the DasMikro is sold with tank mixing if needed, so if I used this with a pistol transmitter will it clash or work in the way it should?

Please help this antweight building idiot. I barely managed to finish my last robot recently!
DAZ DUZ BOTZ

Fili-PA (wedge flipper)
Watta Doze (tank tracked pusher)
Wolfhead (front wheel drive flipper)
2-2 Liftman (fork lifter)
The Ting Goes Grrrab (grabber/control)
Ocracoke

Re: Advice on using a pistol grip transmitter

Post by Ocracoke »

I use a pistol style transmitter in one of my antweights. The one I use does not mix the channels together so one control would drive one wheel and one would drive the other. I did have an external mixer at one stage which worked until it caught fire (don't ask how :P) so I have to be quite careful in how I modulate the controls.

If the DasMikro comes with mixing on the board itself, then yes, the transmitter should work the way you want it to.
Team Kaizen

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
FW: Azriel
MW: Jibril, Kaizen
Dazmund

Re: Advice on using a pistol grip transmitter

Post by Dazmund »

Thanks. I'm starting to make sense of it all. Just ordered a DasMikro with channel mixing, so I guess I have to follow instructions... or come here to ask for further advice.
DAZ DUZ BOTZ

Fili-PA (wedge flipper)
Watta Doze (tank tracked pusher)
Wolfhead (front wheel drive flipper)
2-2 Liftman (fork lifter)
The Ting Goes Grrrab (grabber/control)