Beardy Bots

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

sgtbeardy

Beardy Bots

Post by sgtbeardy »

Probably about time I started writing a log here.

AWS 55 was our third event, but importantly our first event with robots I've designed and built myself. Prior to this, I have run one of Shakey's pushers named "Last Minute" and a few thingiverse specials; "Set Myself on Firestorm", a front-hinged flipper and "Almost Certainly Balanced" a horizontal spinner to learn more about 3d printing and robots in general.

After picking up a lot of tips and tricks from the first two events, I decided I wanted to build my own bot, but to keep it simple I would design one without a weapon. I designed and printed A LOT of iterations, each time the chassis was getting smaller and smaller until it hit me... "maybe our weapon could simply be having two of them"... So that's what I did!

This is Yin and Yang. Identical in every way but colour (and morality).

We lost our first fight at AWS 55 and I thought "Ah well, pretty much what I expected" and started thinking of ways I could improve them for next time, but then... we somehow just kept winning and managed to get our score to 8-2 in the end! Sure, some of the wins were extremely lucky, but that's combat robotics, right? Either way we had an absolutely fantastic day with these little bots and now I can't wait to tweak them and test them again in the future! :)

I did take Last Minute along for the ride too, but unfortunately bombed out at 2-2 this time. I still love him though and will probably continue to run him until I have four of my own bots to enter!

Last edited by sgtbeardy on Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:59 am, edited 11 times in total.
Team Beardy Bots: Last Minute, Set Myself on Firestorm, Almost Certainly Balanced, Yin and Yang.
MarkR

Re: Beardy Bots

Post by MarkR »

Excellent looking machines.

You should definitely spray-paint Yang's motor mounts black and get white wheels.

Otherwise,they're perfect :)
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
DieGracefullyRobotics

Post by DieGracefullyRobotics »

You guys were great. I loved how surprised you were every time you won a fight. Great robot/s, great people. Can't wait to see what you do next!
Dave
Die Gracefully Robotics - Barely Even a Proper Team.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Good robots. I loved the fight of Wedge Wedge Wedge vs Yin and Yang