Shooty's Ants

All things antweight

Moderators: petec, administrator, BeligerAnt

Post Reply
User avatar
ShootyMcExplosion
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:14 pm

Shooty's Ants

Post by ShootyMcExplosion » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:30 pm

So a long time back I built an antweight front hinged flipper called Sioc (link to build diary here: viewtopic.php?t=2547). I was happy with how the build turned out, although so far Sioc's accomplishments only really include flipping around a few rolls of tape, and most of those I can't even credit myself as a driver for (exhibition piece for audience members to drive at Mechatrons 2018 Dublin while waiting to get in). I also attempted to build a second ant, the idea of which can be seen in the linked post above, though I got some measurements wrong and got frustrated with the nature of polycarb cutting in general, so moved on to a featherweight. Now, 448 days, a featherweight, and half a beetleweight later, I actually have something to show.

Image

Nathair Nimhe (pronounced "nah-her nih-vuh") is the Irish for "snake", and from looking at the design, I'd imagine the influences are clear to see. I'm using a Nanotwo V2 kit for motion, and unlike last time, have actually used cardboard for measurements instead of polycarb right away. A linkage operates the lifter, and should raise to be parallel with the bot horizontally, and rotates roughly 135 degrees. I'm going to use something for the linkage itself however, as the biscuit tin metal bent when upside down.

Image

I'm going to try to use 1mm polycarb in certain areas of the bot such as the base and top plates, mainly cause I've heard it's easier to cut and bend. 1.5mm will probably still be used for the walls though, and definitely for the wedge. I also still need to wait for a few more motor mounts, as I cut the ends off two of the mounts to fit the original shape of the machine. The new design can fit both screws necessary.

Image

It's quite compact, figuring out the Nanotwo could fit on top of the motors was key to getting everything working. The front wedge will probably be slimmed down near the top of it to save weight. The biscuit tin angle pieces seem to hold the body together, but other ideas would be welcomed for a more solid structure. All the geometry seems to allow it to self right from any angle as well, and crucially, the machine should fit into a 4X4 cube.

Image

I don't know when I'll get the machine finished, as my other machines in other weight classes are a priority. Rewiring to be more compact is going to be a focus, trimming the fat so to speak. I also still have some irritating issues on the electronics side of things with Nathair Nimhe; the servo sometimes retracts farther than its usual 90 degree range of motion on being plugged into the battery, and this actually twisted the cardboard frame of the test rig. Hopefully through some research I can sort this out.

User avatar
ShootyMcExplosion
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:14 pm

Re: Shooty's Ants

Post by ShootyMcExplosion » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:55 pm

Some videos of it working as well:

Lifter test: https://youtu.be/rczsrfceC00

Drive test: https://youtu.be/PTIZycdzzYE

Post Reply