Ant Attempt 2 - 'Tough Justice'

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Rocketeer13

Ant Attempt 2 - 'Tough Justice'

Post by Rocketeer13 »

Hello again everyone!

So sadly I ultimately gave up on my first attempt to build a bot, Kosmos, mostly due to servo and design issues. I'll definitely return to the concept at some point! So, while working around revision, I've been planning my next build, and trying to work around all the issues I had before. This mostly means being motor driven, and screwed together, rather than hot glued - both servos and glue caused me no end of frustration!

The result is, in essence, Foxic 1, (4 bar lifter and 4 wheel drive) though I was unaware of that bot when I first came up with the design! I'll be reusing my Hobbyking T6A Tx and Rx, 4.8V 120mAh Nimh battery pack, and my Kingmax servo, as well as purchasing a Dasmikro (I don't think a nanotwo will be compatible with my Tx), and 4 N20 gearmotors. Then I'll vary the thickness of the polycarb based on what weight I've got left.

Here's a preliminary paint sketch of the bot design and weapon system, based on my plans so far. Once I have the components, I'll make a more detailed plan, with measurements etc, to get it as compact as possible, but I thought I'd post my initial ideas here first to get some thoughts/advice/feedback. I'm hoping to start properly in July, once I'm free from College, and try and be finished by AWS 56, whenever that gets scheduled for.
Tough Justice - yes, that name was partially inspired by a Scrapheap Challenge team!
Tough Justice - yes, that name was partially inspired by a Scrapheap Challenge team!
Tough Justice Blank.png (12.9 KiB) Viewed 10124 times
Crossblow [BW] - Four Bar Lifter (Active)
Serf's Up [AW] - Lifter/Rambot (Under Construction)
Kosmos [AW] - Front Hinged Flipper (Retired)

Team Page:
https://www.facebook.com/MotteAndBaileyRobotics/
DieGracefullyRobotics

Re: Ant Attempt 2 - 'Tough Justice'

Post by DieGracefullyRobotics »

Woof Justice, per chance? Ha.

AWS56 is already scheduled for October 13th to give you the exact time to work to.

Good luck with it.
Dave
Die Gracefully Robotics - Barely Even a Proper Team.
Rocketeer13

Post by Rocketeer13 »

DieGracefullyRobotics wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 1:13 pm Woof Justice, per chance? Ha.
AWS56 is already scheduled for October 13th to give you the exact time to work to.
Good luck with it.
Thanks Dave! Haha! Correct! I do miss that show.
Ah, thanks for that. I aim to be done well before then! I've just ordered my Dasmikro. Hopefully any overheating problems from the previous batch have been solved now. I'll post another update once I've got the parts and assembled a CAD or cardboard model. Then it'll be a bit easier to see what's what. Hopefully, I'll see you in October!

Team Page:
Zanbots

Post by Zanbots »

Awesome. My robot 24601. Is a 4 bar lifter.
I went 2wd as my bad choice of components didn't size up well.

I belive the standard rx from hobbyking is a bit big. The 4CH FS2A from banggood is cheap lightweight and tiny. 24601 has way more space inside now. It works with AFHDS. I believe that's hobbyking stuff too.
Jeremy Hall
Ants; 24601
Oh, Baby!
B-Bot
Valjean
Rocketeer13

Post by Rocketeer13 »

Zanbots wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 9:08 am Awesome. My robot 24601. Is a 4 bar lifter.
I went 2wd as my bad choice of components didn't size up well.

I belive the standard rx from hobbyking is a bit big. The 4CH FS2A from banggood is cheap lightweight and tiny. 24601 has way more space inside now. It works with AFHDS. I believe that's hobbyking stuff too.
24601, huh? Since my bot is getting a bit of a police theme, perhaps I should rename it Javert for a fight? We could have a friendly grudge match!

Thanks for that! If I'm pushing the weight limit at all I might look into it, but I've removed the case from my Rx so I think I'll be fine for now.

Team Page:
Rocketeer13

Post by Rocketeer13 »

Hello again!
Since the last update, I've had most of my components delivered, and the CAD (Cardboard Aided Design) process is well underway. Once I get a bit further, I'll post a few more updates.
I wanted to double check the wiring on my Dasmikro. It all looks fine (I think) but I'm a little unsure on which resistors to use (if any). They all seem to have the same markings, but the original Dasmikro thread memtioned different ones for different braking levels. Bear in mind that this is a 4WD design so the motors will be connected in parallel. Also, there's only 4 connection points where the rx wires go, so am I right in saying I only need to keep the white wire on one of those cables? Thanks in advance!
IMG_20180608_091704446_3.jpg
IMG_20180608_091704446_3.jpg (187.47 KiB) Viewed 9897 times

Team Page:
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

It looks like you have all the bits in the right places and yes, you do only need to connect the white (signal) wire on one of the servo leads.
Make sure you plug the servo leads into the receiver the right way round. Usually the black (0V) wires go towards the edge of the board and the white (signal) wire towards the circuit.

Those "resistors" look like capacitors to me. Like these: http://uk.farnell.com/avx/aa105c104k4r/ ... dp/2057124
Small wire-ended resistors are are almost always stripey, those look plain and too short & fat for resistors.
If they are capacitors they probably want to go right across the motor terminals to help suppress any electrical noise generated by the motor brushes.
If they actually are resistors, don't connect them across the motors!
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Ant Ipodean

Post by Ant Ipodean »

Yes, those are capacitors that come with the DasMikro, in the picture.
The N20 motors don't really seem to need them.
You will have to acquire the resistors separately if you want to use them for braking.

Mike.
Rocketeer13

Post by Rocketeer13 »

BeligerAnt wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:22 pm Those "resistors" look like capacitors to me.
If they are capacitors they probably want to go right across the motor terminals to help suppress any electrical noise generated by the motor brushes.
If they actually are resistors, don't connect them across the motors!
Ant Ipodean wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:40 am Yes, those are capacitors that come with the DasMikro, in the picture.
The N20 motors don't really seem to need them.
You will have to acquire the resistors separately if you want to use them for braking.
Ah! I get it now! Brilliant. Thank you, both. That makes everything a lot clearer. Sounds like I'll just have to experiment a little with the capacitors, and perhaps some resistors, then.

Team Page:
Rocketeer13

Post by Rocketeer13 »

So I started on my Dasmikro today, and had a few issues. The power didn't seem to be getting through to the rx, despite all of the wires seeming to be in the right place, and not touching one another. Nevertheless I tried to unsolder one wire that looked like it could be touching, and the whole pad came away from the board, still attached to the cable (see bottom left of image). Has this happened to anyone else? Can it be fixed? Please help! :-?

Oliver
IMG_20180610_161758213.jpg
IMG_20180610_161758213.jpg (125.85 KiB) Viewed 9756 times

Team Page: