Eddie J - DisinfectANT, Kinnettic Disassembly, Cilit BANG

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

GeorgeR

Re: Fishy Electronics - DisinfectANT , Cilit BANG

Post by GeorgeR »

I wouldn't be too worried about the counterweight, it shouldn't get hit, and it's going slower anyway. The bits that look marginal to me are between the central hub and the edge of the bar, particularly by that mounting hole, and along the threaded holes that the tooth screws into. Polycarb is a great material, but it can crack given enough force, and it looks pretty thin in those sections.

I'm surprised to hear about you shearing high tensile m3 bolts, that's exactly what I use in Valkyrie, and I've never had an issue (even when hitting other spinners). It may be because I've partially countersunk them, which provides a bit more support?
Team Zero - AWS 58 Champion!
Zero - rambot - - Axiom - axebot - - Valkyrie - drum spinner
Blueprint - rambot - - Vampire - horizontal spinner - - Particle - ???
RBMK - quad spinner gyro walker - - Duality - dual spinner gyro walker
TeamScrewUp

Post by TeamScrewUp »

your robots seem like a work of art
Daaa
Manta ray (2WD wedge bot)
Nom (Grabber)
Arena Sweeper (Undercutter)
FORCE WALL (Front-hinged Flipper)
EddieJ

Post by EddieJ »

@George: Ahh hadn't tested or had any experience with cracking polycarb before. This could be more entertaining then, with that kind of risk! :lol: Will see how it goes and have a bar redesign on standby!
@TeamScrewup: Thanks :) Could be a Jackson Pollock piece of art, if this does not work out as I plan ;)

A little more done, it's slow progress at the moment. I am not getting much time away from work and then energy for bot building is scarse :-? Buuut the weapon assembly is 100% done. And that's the second more complex bit in it.

I planned to make my life easy and use a M4 threaded steel rod as the weapon axle. Newb mistake, it is 3.85mm not 4mm..

This means the weapon bar has too much play to either side and would hit the frame sides. So it is time to do this the long way.
Nice hard steel bar lathed down to 4mm exactly.

Cut to length +0.5mm ... which takes 15 minutes and 3 blades with the jeweler's saw because I have not finished refurbishing my mitre saw yet...

Lathe the ends clean with a facing cut.

Add a chamfer at about 45 degree.

Then spend 1 hour per end trying to add a M4 thread while swearing all shades at this damn 40mm long piece of metal. Honestly the most difficult part of this build so far is DIY die cutting a thread on a steel bar by hand. Maybe I will get better with practice... Probably smart to make a spare bar

Next, since i forgot to program the mill to run one more operation to coountersink all the holes.. I have to do them by hand in both parts of the frame. So this is keeping me busy on sunday for a bit.

Lathing 4mm pulleys which is all levels of fiddly... my next bot will be a brick with wheels... need something simple after this... although I said that after the last one...

May use a grubscrew to join these two parts... is glue cheating? xD

Unconventional way of lathing down the nylon gears, mounting it on a tap. But was the best i could come up with. I need to find some sort of internal micro chuck sometime.
Bots:
DisinfectANT (Antweight), Cilit BANG (WIP Antweight), Kinetic Disassembly (WIP Antweight)
EddieJ

Post by EddieJ »

Slow progress at the moment, I am testing 3D printing custom belts - since it looks like i will need the drive system to be run from belts as well as the weapon.
Spot-A elastic resin seems to be the best bet so far. Tried FDM printing in Ninjaflex... it just came out too rough and crummy for my liking. Need a high tolerance on the belt teeth or there will be problems...
https://spotamaterials.com/product/spot-e-1kg/
Sooo time to do some trials.
Vat ready. I hate changing material, takes an aeon to clean the old one out.

Digging the colour! I think i can make it into a feature xD

Printed, first time success actually! Never done that with a new resin before, usually i am faffing with exposure times and spreadsheets for weeks on end.
Seems quite tough, but will see how it holds up to some testing at silly-RPM, compared to an off the shelf belt.

Annnnd I really like the strength of polycarbonate. But i really didnt like so many parts being transparent on the bot, so i picked up a cheap old dental sandblaster (anyone want their dentures done? :P ) which will be great for creating frosty surfaces on parts or smoothing things off after milling.
So i think the weapon bar will be frosted white now, and maybe some other bits after seeing the bot built.

Again... testing that probably next weekend. Wish i had more free time just now to get this bot finished! :S

EDIT:
Next job is to mill out the front plate now i have the final design at last. Only 6 screws as I didnt want to put any too low and have the interfere with bots getting scooped up cleanly into the weapon.

And the new metal bender, mounted and ready to bend! Should be much easier to get sharp corners on this one. 3D print some angle blocks to get the right angle on the bends.
Bots:
DisinfectANT (Antweight), Cilit BANG (WIP Antweight), Kinetic Disassembly (WIP Antweight)
EddieJ

Re: Eddie J - DisinfectANT , Cilit BANG

Post by EddieJ »

Been a crazy summer with far too little free time :/ But at last another entry in the build diary: I am finding some time to get back in the workshop and make a push to finish this second ant, before the end of the year!

Milling 1mm aluminium is tricky as hell due to how "sticky" it is when milled and how it vibrates so much. At last I have a method which is near close to perfect - even if it means sacrificing some high density MDF to make a metal sandwich to clamp and cushion the part as it is being milled.

Mmmm sandwich ...

Roughing pass done

Finishing pass in process

Really pleased with how neat this is, before any cleanup.

And after a little hand finishing to sharpen the internal corners (2mm radius on them at the moment. One day i will feel crazy enough to try a 1mm and 0.5mm endmill to sharpen corners with CNC)

Next, to the bending break to make the bends on it. Only need to get a 15 degree and 35 degree bend on it, so should be pretty easy.
Bots:
EddieJ

Post by EddieJ »

Ok so i have to finally push for this bot to get finished now. Partly because I have a couple of new ideas of other bots i want to make too to get a squad ready for some events. :D

I had a 3d printed spacer which would hold the bots frame together, didnt like this as it was at the front at might shatter. So with a bit of a redesign it is now aluminium with just a 0.08g increase of weight.
Stage one machining WIP
Ta da with weight saving hole

The home hobby workshop is getting there now after a year of putting it together gradually, still plenty of room to fill with new toys :)

And newest arrival for my business is a fancy laser cutter :D Which will ... be put to use making some bot parts for sure lol

Getting there slowly!
Bots:
GeorgeR

Post by GeorgeR »

That is simply the most beautifully complex ant I've ever seen. Really can't wait to see it at an event.
Team Zero - AWS 58 Champion!
Zero - rambot - - Axiom - axebot - - Valkyrie - drum spinner
Blueprint - rambot - - Vampire - horizontal spinner - - Particle - ???
RBMK - quad spinner gyro walker - - Duality - dual spinner gyro walker
EddieJ

Post by EddieJ »

:D Thanks! It's more of thing of beauty, than it is competitive. But I just hope it will work and not implode itself like the Deep 6 test footage!
Next time... I will make something competitive for sure! :lol:
Hope to be bringing it to a few end of this year or start of next
Bots:
Henwilled Antweight team

Post by Henwilled Antweight team »

If that thing goes against a horizontal spinner, that thing will be mangled. Looks like a beautiful antweight! Amazing, how it isn't over weight
T_Y

Post by T_Y »

I can't wait to see this in action!
Thomas - Approximation Robotics AKA "the one that does the mechanums"

Ants:
PLA-ST Is a Perfectly Legitimate Choice of Material
Percussive Maintenance 4: A New Spinner
Stack Overflow

Beetles:
Déjà Vu/Two