Eddie J - DisinfectANT, Kinnettic Disassembly, Cilit BANG

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Shakey

Re: DisinfectANT - Antweight First Build Log

Post by Shakey »

Man this is some lovely ant making going on in here!

Also I'm a little jealous of your mill. I make do on a 3020T ebay special with an electronics swap, really only good for plastics and soft ali work.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
EddieJ

Post by EddieJ »

Thanks Shakey! Again, that's high praise from you sir :D

I got a good deal on it, all in with PC. Same guy is selling a Sherline CNC Mill with PC for £850, can do alu, (with coolant upgrade >)mild steel and titanium on it. I'll hook you up if you are tempted ;)

Im still faffing with it really, so different to the 3D printers. More hands on and always seems to be a new tool i need to buy ... wait 3 days for delivery ... snap... wait another 3 days. Jesus! :roll:
I had to get a business partner to do the titanium teeth which are coming with the sheet metal cut and bent fronts. :P

Forgot to post the final CAD design. I think of it as .. "what if Terrorhurtz and Pulsar had a baby?"

Problem is I am already thinking of design changes and improvements and it hasnt even battled yet >.<
Bots:
DisinfectANT (Antweight), Cilit BANG (WIP Antweight), Kinetic Disassembly (WIP Antweight)
EddieJ

Post by EddieJ »

Had some help with this bit 0:D There is no way for me to make precise bends on metal in my workshop :-? .. i should probably have not been lazy, and 3D printed a jig for these to do it myself. :roll:

1.5mm alu ... i think i should have gone with 2.5mm or titanium, but... im going to learn the hard way when i fight another spinner :lol:

Dorset Antweight championships coming up 24th of this month, rush rush!
Bots:
DisinfectANT (Antweight), Cilit BANG (WIP Antweight), Kinetic Disassembly (WIP Antweight)
GeorgeR

Post by GeorgeR »

1.5mm alu can be an effective armour, it depends on the alloy. If its something strong like 6082t6 then you'll be fine, if it's something weaker like 1050h14 then you'll have issues with it getting bent up.
With the current design I would think that the main issue would be horizontal spinners bending the side bits either into the wheels, or downwards causing the bot to get stuck.

It's still looking fantastic though.
Team Zero - AWS 58 Champion!
Zero - rambot - - Axiom - axebot - - Valkyrie - drum spinner
Blueprint - rambot - - Vampire - horizontal spinner - - Particle - ???
RBMK - quad spinner gyro walker - - Duality - dual spinner gyro walker
T_Y

Post by T_Y »

That wedge is oh so beautiful! I love the whole look of the bot. Can't wait to see it built!
Thomas - Approximation Robotics AKA "the one that does the mechanums"

Ants:
PLA-ST Is a Perfectly Legitimate Choice of Material
Percussive Maintenance 4: A New Spinner
Stack Overflow

Beetles:
Déjà Vu/Two
EddieJ

Post by EddieJ »

Thanks George, its a softer alloy alu. Going to be a problem yea. I have the nylon frame supporting the wings, but that's going to need a redesign on v2. Along with a lot of other things i am noticing now.

Cheers TY! It will be coming together more next week :D

Today has been a little frustrating.
First off the sizing of the belt - its fine on paper, calculations are fine. But in reality maybe it doesn't sit right.. maybe timing belt measurments are from the external surface? But at any rate, it's about 1-2mm too short and warps the frame with it's tension.

Not a problem since i wanted to make a new cam for the motor so the drum is spinning at 0.9x motor speed and not 0.5x like it is now. So remodelled that and it will be on the printer tomorrow.

Worse problem: So now i have learned not to buy cheap screws from china. When tightening the screws up to fix the titanium drum teeth, they sheared off in the holes. Useless! Its not really economic to machine a new drum... so i may try and mill the m1 screws out with a 1.2mm drillbit then re-tap the holes for m1.2 screws instead of m1. Then re drill the teeth to fit m1.2 screws also. Should have been m1.5 to start with... this bot is too dainty and fragile.
Need to sort something as the drum is not balanced now with one tooth only.

If anyone has any suggestions on that, im all ears.
Bots:
GeorgeR

Post by GeorgeR »

I would definitely try and get some bigger screws for the weapon, I don't see the M1's holding up even if they hadn't sheared off now. If it were mine I would be looking at drilling it out and getting at least some M1.6 high tensiles in there, although space does look tight.

Given the limited time and space you could ditch the titanium teeth for now and use the larger screws themselves as the teeth. Obviously that wouldn't give you such a sharp tooth profile, but it's still better than having it self-destruct as soon as it hits something.
EddieJ

Post by EddieJ »

Yea i dunno what i was thinking with M1... the model maker in me is showing through... Im making things too delicate.

I am going to try and open up to 1.6 and find some better screws! Even if they stick out the top a little, i think the teeth will be the first things to make contact anyway.
Learning lessons for the next one... :roll:
Bots:
GeorgeR

Post by GeorgeR »

Yep, everybody's first bot has some silly mistakes and dubious design choices, but it's the best way to learn really. Once you've competed, and seen everybody else's bots, you get a much better feel of what works and what doesn't.
EddieJ

Post by EddieJ »

Ahh fate doesn't want to to finish this ant this month :(

Drilling out the sheared screws to 1.6mm. Have to use the edge finder to make a x0 y0 point to reference from.

Turns out that buying a cheap edge finder is not a good idea, since it whips itself apart with the centrifugal force, then spins the bottom half around on the mill, attached with the internal spring, like a medieval flail. Managed to take some chunks out of the mill's lead screw before i hit the stop button. Fun times.

The quest to fix the drum continues :roll:
Bots: