Eddie J - DisinfectANT, Kinnettic Disassembly, Cilit BANG

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Paulmchurd

Re: Disinfect-ant - Antweight First Build Log

Post by Paulmchurd »

Wow I'm loving this go hard or go home approach.

Most people start with a simple box on wheels or bolted together polycarbonate.

The Anticipation of seeing this ant come together... sorry

I am looking forward to seeing this ant being built.
EddieJ

Re: Disinfect-ant - Antweight First Build Log

Post by EddieJ »

DieGracefullyRobotics wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 8:50 pm There hasn't been an ant called Disinfect-ant in the many years I've been around, though there was one called deoderAnt, which would've made for an interesting sounding battle...
Awesome :D Thanks for the info on name. Maybe I can keep up a theme of household product ant puns :P
Paulmchurd wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 7:42 am Wow I'm loving this go hard or go home approach.
Most people start with a simple box on wheels or bolted together polycarbonate.
The Anticipation of seeing this ant come together... sorry
I am looking forward to seeing this ant being built.

Lol, well I have wanted to start working with CNC milling for a few years now. And so I needed a fun excuse to learn. = Build an antweight :D
Now i am setting the bar here... once i start showing the build, I hope it wont be an .. ANTiclimax :lol:
Bots:
DisinfectANT (Antweight), Cilit BANG (WIP Antweight), Kinetic Disassembly (WIP Antweight)
EddieJ

Re: DisinfectANT - Antweight First Build Log

Post by EddieJ »

At last some free time to start cutting bits.

The table saw is actually much more accurate than i thought for cutting small chunks (considering the size of the blade!) Inside 1mm will be fine as the stock is machined in the mill to be accurate :)
Sawing MDF test chunks before i let loose on some delrin or polycarb.
Better than expected and i have all my fingers still, after cutting lots of 40mm square test blocks.
Here is what we will have by the end of the day i hope. Nice and simple test part. Will start as soon as i get back from real-work :P
Bots:
DisinfectANT (Antweight), Cilit BANG (WIP Antweight), Kinetic Disassembly (WIP Antweight)
EddieJ

Post by EddieJ »

Slow progress! Went on holiday for a few weeks, working like mad on regualr job to catch up.

But managed to start test 3D printing some parts to test the fit. Seems no tolerance is needed to fit the wheels on the motors snugly after all.

Bots:
EddieJ

Post by EddieJ »

Silicone wheels. Not bad at 1.1g each.
The hubs are cast in polyurethane, cheap and very light with excellent impact resistance like a thermoplastic.

Silicone went for 25 shore hardness as i wanted it soft and grippy.

Time to build the main chassis later this month.
Bots:
Decode

Post by Decode »

Looks awesome! I'm attempting my first antweight and it is far from being a) this good looking, b) this well made, and c) this complicated! :lol:

I look forward to seeing how yours turns out, and hope to never have to face the beast of a drum with my current box-on-wheels, haha!
EddieJ

Post by EddieJ »

Haha thanks Decode :D I have a bad habit of over engineering things (belt driven drum, prime example lol) so i think this bot could be made out of much fewer parts. But i think this version will look mean at least ;)

Should have some assembly going on at the end of next week. Aiming to be built in 3 weeks and just need configuring all the channels on the transmitter setting some curves etc.
Bots:
EddieJ

Post by EddieJ »

Getting all the bits together. Drum core fits perfectly, bearings press fit in. Problem is dont have an alan key small enough to tighten the locking worm screws :roll: Time to buy yet more alan keys
Removed the timing belt teeth from the drum to add in some slip to avoid motor stalling... and easier machining!

Tail is good, a little tolerance issue on one of the holes, just fixed it now drilling it out some more by hand.

Need the titanium 5 drum teeth next, to fully balance it, then will do some spin tests. The teeth are going to be vicious as all the impact will be on some sharp bladed 1mm of titanium xD may design interchangeable teeth later which can be swapped out for gouging or maximum shock impact.
.. hope they dont get stuck in the arena :lol:

Do I oil the bearings on a drum, or is that going to start a fire? lol

Bots:
GeorgeR

Post by GeorgeR »

This is looking absolutely incredible, can't wait to see the finished machine.
Team Zero - AWS 58 Champion!
Zero - rambot - - Axiom - axebot - - Valkyrie - drum spinner
Blueprint - rambot - - Vampire - horizontal spinner - - Particle - ???
RBMK - quad spinner gyro walker - - Duality - dual spinner gyro walker
EddieJ

Post by EddieJ »

Hah thanks George, that means a lot coming from you! :D

I run a model making / 3d printing company for the day job, so making intricate and pretty stuff is no problem. But making something which will hold together and work in combat ... well.. we shall see :lol:

Hope to have some assembly and tests on the weapon this weekend.
Bots: