Hello, My robots.

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

BobHill452

Hello, My robots.

Post by BobHill452 »

Hello there,

I've been into Robot wars since the beginning (sad to hear BBC have canned the rebooted series for the time being) but am now big enough and ugly enough to make my own robots or at least ant weights.

Thanks to those who have unknowingly helped me as I've gained knowledge by lurking here and elsewhere.

So here are my two robots:
Blue dinosaur on the left and mutagen man on the right (apologies for the poor photos)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/vN6gmOpQ6QlZBV8K2

Blue dinosaur is for my little boy so isn't so 'serious'
He's got a triceratops image on the top
https://photos.app.goo.gl/NkWpLDM7PM3qvD602

Mutagen man has a lifter/scoop. It is designed so the scoop hugs the floor because the weight of the robot is supported on it. Photo should show what I mean
https://photos.app.goo.gl/iaEDCFxiqizDxI9y2

If you're interested here's some stats
Mutagen man
2s 300mah Lipo
Das micro ESC (don't really like them, hard to solder, blew the first one up!)
2x N20 gear motors
Turnigy 5009om servo (metal gear)
Turnigy tgy-i6 TX and RX
Constructed mostly from Polycarb.

Blue dinosaur
2s 300mah Lipo
2x Bustopheden ESC (cheap ebay ones which come with everything pre wired - like those a lot better)
4x N20 gear motors
TURIGY 5X tx and rx
Constructed mostly from a material called kydex.

I built an acrylic bender with nichrome wire which I used to bend the plastics.

Next step is to build a little arena to battle at home.

I don't know if I'll ever make it to an event as there don't seem to be many near me at present.
Derek Dudge

Re: Hello, My robots.

Post by Derek Dudge »

I haven't seen anyone talk about that 2nd ESC you mentioned. Does it have the bells and whistles of the more popular ones like the braking and steering mix etc?

Only feedback I got for your specs is I think you could probably use smaller batteries if you ever need to save weight etc on them. The 180mah ones seem very popular and they last a decent time for playing around with the bot between charges.

Cool that your kid likes playing with the bots. Get him practising driving now and you could have a champ one day.

Where abouts are you? It does seem like most events are quite far south but the Midlands does seem to have a few things going on. Of course not much help if your halfway up a Scottish mountain etc lol.
My robots:

Third Law (antweight) - push/ram bot
Manticore (antweight) - hammer bot
Ocracoke

Post by Ocracoke »

I haven't seen anyone talk about that 2nd ESC you mentioned. Does it have the bells and whistles of the more popular ones like the braking and steering mix etc?
If they are the ones I am thinking of, they are single channel ESCs which are fairly basic but robust - Osu uses a pair of them for its drive, my Beetleweight Shu! uses one for its weapon and my new Ant Ikari will be using one for the weapon. I've had one catch fire on me and it still works.
Team Kaizen

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
FW: Azriel
MW: Jibril, Kaizen
BobHill452

Post by BobHill452 »

Hi Derek,

You're right about the batteries. I went a bit bigger because I want more 'play' time with them between recharges. The weight hasn't been an issue so far but I'll get some 180mah when I pick up more parts for my next robots.

The ESCs are these:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10A-Bustophe ... SwSuNacudV
You can find them for less that they are in that listing. They don't have mixing but they do have a brake you can turn on and off. The lack of mixing hasn't been an issue for me as my TX can do the mixing for me. They do end up taking up a bit of space and of course weight, but for me the ease of use and convenience of them as well as price over comes these issues. I think a few people use them successfully but i've not used them in competition so can't really comment with authority on their reliability etc.

In terms of location i'm down in the south east. I saw that the AWS was in southampton last year so I think things go on that would be suitable but it is just the wrong time of year at present. I've seen a beetleweight event near me but haven't got into those yet. Maybe in the future!

Thanks for taking the time to stop by and comment