Mark's Antweight build

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

MarkR

Re: Mark's Antweight build

Post by MarkR »

For a future version - I will spin my own PCB with a ESP32 module, some h-bridges, voltage regulator and other gubbins to make a "just connect batteries and motors" solution. But that's a bit further off. I hope in June's competition to fight the Raspberry Pi one (it works but it's a bit weak on armour, could easily get trashed by spinners)
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
Paulmchurd

Post by Paulmchurd »

Nice idea, I'll have to do some research into esp32. Will it work as a TX and RX as well?

It seems making your own ESC is not as difficult as it looks. Just a lot of time!
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

the esp 32 is an absolute amazing chip! and yes it dose Bluetooth, WiFi, TX,RX, all at the same time.

we use it on our AutoBot board and theirs some decent documentation on how to use it. it can use arduino programming so its very easy for any skill level. its microprocessor is probably capable of the processioning power you need to make a board with it, a switch mode power supply, and some motor drivers. but its somewhere between a 10p and 50p in size. so this hypothetical board (that im now thinking i might make, it sounds like a good idea) would probably end up about 3x4cm maybe?

i wouldn't say making a ESC is as quick as just buying one but its certainly the more fun way.
Team RobotMad, home of the Smart robots, and very mean pots :)
Chris and Lincoln Barnes
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

The esp-wroom-32 module is 18x25 mm by itself. Obviously there needs to be some clearance around for running traces to the pins, but it may be possible to make a board only a few mm wider (e.g. ~ 21 mm) and extend the board down for the other components. I suppose a module of ~ 55x21 is do-able, depending on the footprint of the other chips.

Also the obvious thing to do, is to place some other components on the back of the board underneath the esp module, but we can't put anything under the antenna (indeed, the antenna should extend beyond the end of the carrier board ideally).

Also remember there will be a need to add some header pins for programming the firmware.

what it would need:

esp module
voltage regulator (3v3)
dual h-bridge *2 (or dual + single)
IMU (motion sensor) (because reasons)
pin headers for programming
connection for battery
connections for motors

Can we do OTA (over the air, wifi) programming on the esp32? Maybe, but if you get it wrong then need to reflash the device from the serial port.

I had assumed that I would use bluetooth for radio control during battles.
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

realised that the only difference between what you just described and my Smart-board (not the same thing as Autobot) is smaller size and lack of wifi basically.
http://www.robotwars101.org/forum/viewt ... =30#p56187.
Team RobotMad, home of the Smart robots, and very mean pots :)
Chris and Lincoln Barnes
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Getting a little bit fraught now...

I plan to get to the AWS55 on Saturday.

My robot was operating ok several weeks ago, then had a major problem which fried several key components. After replacements were ordered and the whole thing rewired (finally) - I had it driving again only *last night*.

The flipperweapon will be very powerful if I can get it working. The only problem is it might destroy itself on the first test-fire. So now I have only two evenings (less really, I have a lot of personal committments) - to get it assembled and working. Also the software needs some tweaks.

It's a terrible design and badly made. But it was a fun experiment :)
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

I suppose it needs to be in one piece.

But ok, hardware is basically working and it is drivable. The flipper flips and the control is sort-of ok.

So almost good to go.
Attachments
betsie-bits00.jpg
betsie-bits00.jpg (179.08 KiB) Viewed 15620 times
Derek Dudge

Post by Derek Dudge »

Hi again! Martin here fron next to you in the pits yesterday. I enjoyed seeing your robot, such a different approach to most and even though I don't know a great deal about the tech you have in there I found it interesting. My robots are dumb bricks compared to Betsie lol.
My robots:

Third Law (antweight) - push/ram bot
Manticore (antweight) - hammer bot
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Yes well it basically confirmed my suspicions that brains does not always win over brawn.

Also very interesting seeing your robots, the (relatively) simple but well-made pusher (Third Law) got much further than the hex-nut of death (Manticore).
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Here is Betsie at AWS55 in June 2018:

Here is Betsie today (12/10/2018) after some modifications. Same basic design, but should now be much more competitive. Ready for tomorrow (?)